The UIU Advantage
Do you dream of working in a creative career where you can utilize your creative passions? Carve your niche in the world with an Art degree from UIU. Our Art program strengthens your artistic skills and challenges you to develop your own style in a supportive and stimulating natural environment where 9 out of 10 Art graduates have employment before or shortly after graduation.
Why Art at UIU?
- We added 6,000 square feet of new studio space in 2017, and safety and flexibility were key components in its design.
- Our studio art professors are working artists and experts in what they teach, providing students with individual attention to enrich their learning experience. Studio art faculty have a robust exhibition lecture and connections to the art world.
- We host 5-6 visiting artist exhibitions at Bing-Davis Memorial Art Gallery per year, along with art workshops and visiting artist lectures.
- The world’s artists and art galleries offer profound learning opportunities. The UIU Art program regularly offers an art and architecture tour of Italy during the May term. Many individualized art study abroad opportunities also are available.
- Minors are available in Art and Art History.
Areas of Emphasis
- Art Education: The Art Education major prepares students of K-12 licensure.
- Pre-professional Architecture: The Architecture pre-professional program is designed to prepare students to enter an accredited master’s degree program.
- Pre-professional Art Therapy: Designed to prepare students to enter an accredited master’s degree program in art therapy. Art Therapy can be used to resolve emotional conflict by fostering self-awareness and personal growth through education, rehabilitation and psychotherapy.
- Pre-professional Studio Arts: The BA in Art at UIU provides a base for the pursuit of a master in art or a master in fine arts degree. These degrees allow artists to teach in higher education or develop as a professional artist with their own studios. The preparation of portfolios and advice about graduate school options is part of this emphasis.
Build Your Program
See course descriptions for the classes you need for your Art degree, as well as any general education requirements.
Keep up with your academic program’s registration deadlines, session dates, holiday breaks and exam schedules.
Careers in Art
A degree prepares you for many careers, such as arts administrator, art therapist, branding consultant, display artist, event planner, illustrator, medical illustrator, mural artist, and studio artist.
Meghan Kleitsch, '20
K-12 Art Education
The art and education departments at Upper Iowa did an excellent job preparing me for my future. They provided me with many professional and leadership opportunities, while building life-long relationships and support.
Convenient, Focused Scheduling
UIU Art students have the advantage of focusing on fewer classes at once with the Two-at-a-Time schedule.
The Art bachelor’s degree program is offered through UIU’s School of Arts and Sciences.
When you’re ready to apply for your bachelor’s degree in Art, we’re ready to help you every step of the way.
Or Try This
If Art is not quite what you are looking for, check out the Teacher Education K-12 Art endorsement.