The UIU Advantage
Do you want to help others? The public administration degree is a practitioner-oriented degree that provides students with the necessary skills to manage and lead in government and nonprofit organizations. Public administrators work in a variety of specialty areas, such as healthcare, finance, psychology, emergency disaster management, and agriculture.
Why Public Administration at UIU?
- Develop skills to adapt to changing political and social conditions, and function as a well-informed and morally sensitive citizen.
- Program is available through blend of onsite and online courses.
- UIU’s Public Administration features emphases in law enforcement, policy, fire science, and emergency management.
- Learn from faculty who have real-world experience and are experts in the fields they teach; enjoy the support of helpful, caring staff who are there for you from start to finish.
- Minors are available in Political Science and Pre-Law.
Areas of Emphasis
- General: The general emphasis provides a foundation that will help students develop the skills to adapt to changing political and social conditions, and function as well-informed, politically and morally sensitive administrators and citizens who think critically and ethically about the purpose, design and function of government organizations. The focus of the emphasis is on but not limited to state and local administration of public programs and policy.
- Emergency Management: The purpose of the emergency management emphasis is to integrate theory and practice to help prepare student to understand and develop the skills and knowledge to manage and mitigate the physical and human consequences of natural and human-caused hazards.
- Fire Science or Law Enforcement: These areas of emphasis are designed to build on relevant prior learning in law enforcement and fire science by adding management and social science perspectives to prepare a student to understand public organizations and to utilize that knowledge to manage, plan and administer public policy in the areas of police and fire science. The public administration major with an emphasis in law enforcement or fire science is a unique program that is only available to those individuals who have completed related college courses, training in law enforcement or fire science, and/or who have extensive work experience in law enforcement or fire science. Eligibility for this emphasis is dependent upon documentation of completion of: an associate degree in a field related to law enforcement or fire science, a basic police recruit or fire science academy, or transfer or completion of 15 semester credits of related coursework. Eligibility may also be determined based on a combination of experiential learning and college credit.
- Policy & Politics: The policy/politics emphasis, like the general emphasis, provides a foundation that will help students develop the skills to adapt to changing political and social conditions, and function as well-informed, politically and morally sensitive administrators and citizens who think critically and ethically about the purpose, design and function of government organizations. However, this emphasis is broader, focusing not only on the development and implementation of public policy at the national level but providing a broader understanding of the practical aspects of politics and policy. This emphasis area works especially well with the UIU pre-law minor.
Build Your Program
Public Administration Courses
See course descriptions for the classes you need for your Public Administration degree, as well as any general education requirements.
Keep up with your academic program’s registration deadlines, session dates, holiday breaks and exam schedules.
Careers in Public Administration
Graduates can find employment in a variety of fields, such as administration, budget analysis, program analysis, public relations, and public utilities.
Christine Fowler, '19
As a public safety professional, it was challenging to find a higher education degree program that I could adapt to my schedule. I discovered UIU Online through the Fraternal Order of Police. While I was on a year+ waiting list for a degree program in California, UIU accepted my application. They partnered with me to create a pathway to success and I am so grateful to have accomplished this goal.
UIU Locations for Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration
Convenient, Focused Scheduling
UIU Public Administration students have the advantage of focusing on fewer classes at once with the Two-at-a-Time schedule. Plus, convenient evening or online courses ensure your education fits your unique lifestyle.
The Public Administration bachelor’s degree program is offered through UIU’s School of Arts and Sciences.
When you’re ready to apply for your bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, we’re ready to help you every step of the way.
Go Further with a MPA
Earned your undergraduate degree in Public Administration? Consider UIU’s Master of Public Administration (MPA) program to advance your career even further.
Frequently Asked Questions
Find the answers to students’ most frequently asked questions about UIU’s bachelor’s degree in Public Administration. If you don’t see the answer you need, contact us for help.
UIU’s bachelor’s degree in Public Administration is suitable for a variety of subject areas. Examples of positions students are likely to land after completing their public administration degrees include but are not limited to: Public policy analysts, social service program managers, recreational therapists, finance managers, human resource managers, legislative analyst, legislators, forest rangers, supervisory veterinarians, federal airplane pilots, CIA/FBI agents, police officers, fire fighters, public works supervisors/managers, and community and economic development coordinators.