Courses are sent to you by post mail or email.
With Upper Iowa University’s self-paced paper-based format, students are given full flexibility to complete courses without use of technology or internet access. UIU has been offering self-paced programs for almost 50 years, meaning students can receive the same high-quality education wherever they are. Our caring and supportive faculty and staff work closely with you to foster student success.
How Self-Paced Paper-Based Learning Works
With the paper-based format, students will receive a print or PDF version of the course syllabus. The course guide will include textbook information and detailed instructions for completing the course. The guide provides structured lessons that contain an introduction, assigned readings, and written assignments. Course guides for the paper-based option will be sent by U.S. mail or to the student’s University email address.
Advantages of the Self-Paced Program:
- Allows you to learn in new ways
- Makes learning available to those who cannot attend a traditional class
- Flexibility to work at your own pace on coursework
- One on one contact with faculty
Advantages of the Self-Paced Paper-Based Format:
- Does not require a computer
- Assignments submitted to instructor by mail or email
- Exams are conducted through use of a proctor
- Complete your entire degree in self-paced paper-based format
- Transfer up to 78 lower division and 12 upper division credits to UIU
- 12 start dates a year with rolling admission.
Six month self-paced, web-based and paper-based are only eligible for part-time funding with financial aid
Schedule – Paper-Based:
2023-2024 Academic Year
Note: Schedule is subject to change
Course length is up to six months with start dates on the first day of each month
Select undergraduate majors available
Federal Financial Aid available to those who qualify
Transfer up to 90 college credits from other colleges. Ask about qualifying for experiential credits.
Military Friendly program offering servicemembers flexibility regardless of where they are located
First-time, transfer, online, international and military students: No matter your path or previous experience, we’ll help you every step of the way.
Providing resources to support you through your classes.