Skip to content

Emotional Support Animal Registration and Information

Please complete this form and submit it to the Director of Student Accessibility Services in the Office of Student Life, at least 30 days prior to the arrival of the Emotional Support Animal (ESA) on campus.  An ESA may not be brought on campus until the complete application has been received and approved.  Complete a new form if any changes in the information about your approved ESA occur.  Student is required to have a meeting with Director of Student Accessibility Services at the beginning of this process.

Frequently Asked Questions about Service Animals

May I bring a service animal onto a Upper Iowa University building in Fayette or at any U.S. center?

Yes. UIU welcomes service animals at any location available to the general public. Concerns about safety in a particular program of study will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

My dog is not a service animal because it has not been trained to perform a task, but does provide emotional support. May I bring my emotional support dog onto any building in Fayette or at any U.S. center?

No. Under the ADA, your dog would not meet the definition of a service animal because it has not been trained to perform a task and therefore would not be allowed on campus. Review the Upper Iowa University Student Accessibility Services Handbook for more information.​​

Am I required to register my service animal with the Student Accessibility Services office and provide a letter to my instructors?

No. You and your service animal are not required to register with Student Accessibility Services unless you would like to receive other accommodations.

Are there any other ADA requirements regarding service animals that I should know?

Yes. The service animal must be under the owner’s control at all times. The ADA does allow for entities to ask a person with a disability to remove the service animal “if the service animal is out of control and the animal’s handler does not take effective action to control it; or if the animal is not housebroken” [Title II ADA § 35.136 (b, d) Service animals].

Do I need to provide paperwork to show that my dog is trained?

No. UIU staff and faculty may not ask about the person’s specific disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.