Skip to content

Mental Health Crises

Those Needing Immediate/Emergency Attention

  • Suicide threat or attempt
  • If the student has made an attempt or you suspect has made an attempt (such as taking an overdose), call 911
  • Thoughts of suicide
  • If the student is clearly thinking about suicide or there are clues he or she may be thinking about it
  • Thoughts of doing serious physical harm to someone else
  • Seriously diminished contact with reality
  • Extreme emotional distress that has lasted for hours and is not improving
  • Recent sexual assault

Emergencies During Business Hours

If the situation is an emergency, students are encouraged to contact Student Life, campus security or 911. For crisis drop-in counseling assistance for yourself or someone else, individuals are welcome to “walk in” for crisis appointments Monday through Friday, when classes are in session. The Counseling Services office is located within Student Life, 2nd floor of the Student Center at Fayette Campus.

Emergencies After Business Hours, On Weekends, During Breaks

For any of the crisis situations listed above, contact the Resident Assistant on call (563.419.4250), Campus Safety (563.425.3500) or the Resident Area Coordinator (260.729.3655).

Need Help Right Now?

Sexual Assault

Any kind of coercive sexual contact, either by a stranger or someone you know, is sexual assault. If you are sexually assaulted, tell someone who can help. Don’t try to handle it alone. Please consider the following options and resources.

Immediately After a Sexual Assault

  • Contact an RA or hall director for help. They have received training in how to support you.
  • Contact Riverview Center’s 24-hour crisis line at  1-888-557-0310.  A trained sexual assault advocate is available to talk with you by phone or meet with you. The advocate can provide support and information about medical, legal and counseling resources.
  • Secure immediate medical attention at Gundersen Palmer Lutheran Hospital, 112 Jefferson Street, West Union, Iowa 52175; phone: 563-422-3811.
  • Do not remove any clothing, shower, douche or do anything that might destroy physical evidence of the assault.
  • A Riverview Center advocate can accompany you to the emergency room.
  • Your evaluation and treatment at the hospital can be paid for by the Iowa Sexual Assault Examination Payment Program. You do not need to make a report to the police to receive this benefit.
  • Emergency contraception is most effective within 72 hours, but can still have some effectiveness up to 5 days after.
  • Make a prompt report to the Fayette Police Department (563-425-3500). A UIU staff member or DSARC advocate can assist you. Making a report does not obligate you to pursue formal charges.

How To Help A Friend

  • Believe your friend. Don’t judge or question the victim of their choices. Reassure your friend that it is not their fault.
  • Expect all sorts of emotions, including lack of emotion and or shock.
  • Be patient. The recovery process is different for each victim and may take time.

After the Immediate Crisis

  • Seek support from your RA or hall director.
  • Contact Riverview Center for information and support at 1-888-557-0310.
  • Pursue medical follow-up with medical providers through Gundersen Lutheran or Palmer Hospital. Student appointments for Gundersen Lutheran Clinic can be made within Student Life.
  • You may still make a report to the Fayette Police, if you have not already done so.
  • Consult with the Victim’s Advocate (563-425-5932) or Counseling Services (563-425-5786), both located in the Student Center, about your options for filing a formal complaint and pursuing judicial action. Ask any questions you have about the process.
  • You may request changes in academic or living arrangements to minimize contact with your assailant, if these are reasonably possible. Speak to the Victim’s Advocate or Counseling Services (Student Center).
  • Consult the Student Handbook for information on college policies, reporting, resources and support services.
  • Consider support from UIU Counseling Services or contact Iowa Sexual Abuse Hotline: 1-800-284-7821 for other resources.
  • The Riverview Center is a resource for anyone who is coping with or concerned about the effects of sexual violence. All services are free of charge, confidential, and are available to women, children, and men.
  • The 24-hour line is staffed by trained sexual assault advocates and the toll-free number is available to callers throughout the state of Iowa. Advocates can provide a safe space to talk, supportive listening, and information about services across the state for sexual abuse survivors and their significant others.
  • The Riverview Center can refer callers to their local sexual assault center and is also available to assist callers in accessing other local resources such as domestic violence centers, shelters, law enforcement, hospitals, county attorney offices, or other counseling services.

Local Area Crisis Resources

  • A crisis and information line that is free, confidential and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A service of United Way and Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, Inc.
  • Northeast Iowa Behavioral Health’s 24-hour Crisis Line: 563-382-3649 or 1-800-400-8923.
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or 1-800-799-4TTY (4889) for hearing and speech impaired.
  • Contact 911.
  • Emergency Room: go directly to Palmer Lutheran Health Center, 112 Jefferson Street, West Union, Iowa 52175; phone: 563-422-3811.