Skip to content

Tax Information for International Students

When to Submit Taxes

The tax season ranges from January 1 through April 15. All individuals residing in the U.S. for any portion of the previous year must submit a tax return regardless of whether they earned or received any money, as mandated by U.S. law.

Information for International Students Regarding the 1098-T

It is important to note that a 1098-T is only created for an international student, or any student, if UIU has a Social Security Number on file for them. If UIU does not have one on file, then this fax form was not created for them.

For students to access an electronic copy of their 1098-T statement on the Heartland ECSI portal, they will need to visit the Heartland ECSI 1098-T Information Page ( ). If they have consented to receive the 1098-T electronically they should have received an email notification that the document is ready (unless otherwise agreed upon).

If they did not consented to receive the 1098-T electronically they would have a paper 1098-T statement mailed around January 20, 2016. Please allow for one week delivery and if they have not received this, they will need to contact ECSI.

To access your 1098-T statement online, you will need:

School code: A1 
Account number: Social Security Number  

Heartland ECSI PIN (emailed to students w/ electronic consent, mailed to students w/o electronic consent). If they do not know their Heartland ECSI PIN, use the ‘Retrieve Credential Page.

Once logged in, under ‘My Account’ select Tax Information and retrieve the 1098-T.

Below is the ECSI contact information if they need to contact them directly with any additional questions:

Phone: 866.428.1098
Email: [email protected]

Also, another very common question is why payments are not reflected. The 1098-T does not reflect payments. The IRS gives colleges and universities the choice to either report Box #1 Payments Received or Box #2 Amounts Billed. Upper Iowa has chosen to supply information for Box #2 Amounts Billed, which refers to tuition and related expense amounts billed on the student’s account during the associated tax year (January 1 through December 31). Therefore, Box 1 will be blank.

U.S. Federal Tax

All individuals must submit the following documents. It may be necessary to submit additional forms depending your personal situation.

If you worked in the previous year: Submit Form 1040-NR (instructions) OR Form 1040-EZ(instructions) AND Form 8843.

If you did not work: Submit Form 8843.

For more information on U.S. Federal taxes, please visit the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.

Iowa State Tax

Individuals who earn any money from sources located in Iowa must pay income tax on that income to the Iowa state government. For more information on Iowa state taxes, please visit the Iowa Department of Revenue.