Mission and Outcomes
Master of Science in Counseling
MSC Mission Statement
UIU’s online Master of Science in Counseling program prepares exemplary graduates to serve in a variety of positions in community mental health and school settings. We establish academic expectations for an intellectual climate and provide a supportive environment for a diverse student body to grow and develop personally, interpersonally, clinically, and professionally. We prepare graduates who:
- Possess a clear and consistent awareness of themselves and their impact on others.
- Acquire knowledge and skills to practice effectively and ethically.
- Excel as practitioners and practice lifelong learning.
- Provide leadership to the community and advocate on behalf of their clients and their communities.
- Value professional integrity and diligence.
- Commit to the compassionate service of humanity and foster the growth, development, and wellness of individuals and communities at the local, state, national, and international levels.
- Outcome #1: Students will attain strong theoretical foundations in the eight core areas of counseling.
- Outcome #2: Students will be able to successfully apply knowledge and skills covered in graduate level courses to counseling settings.
- Outcome #3: Students will develop and demonstrate multicultural competence in counseling.
- Outcome #4: Students will develop strong identities as professional counselors.
- Outcome #5: The student population body will be diverse with respect to race, gender, sexual orientation, and other cultural identities.
- Outcome #6: Master’s graduates will secure professional positions in counseling settings.