UIU ALERT: Fayette Campus is closing at 3:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18 due to the weather.
Proper Response Steps
- Activate the nearest fire alarm and notify others of the danger.
- Dial 911 for help. Give the dispatcher the following information:
- Building you are in.
- Floor you are on.
- Number of people you believe are still inside the building.
- If the fire is small and can be extinguished safely and quickly, you may use the fire extinguishers that are located throughout the buildings on campus. When using a fire extinguisher remember…
The P.A.S.S. method:
- Pull the safety pin from the handle.
- Aim the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the trigger handle.
- Sweep from side to side to side at the base of the fire.
- If the fire is large, very smoky or rapidly spreading do not attempt to extinguish the fire. Just exit the building.
- As you are exiting the building, knock on doors and alert all occupants of the fire.
- Close but do not lock all doors as you exit the building, if you can do so safely. This will help to contain the fire.
- Do not use elevators.
- Avoid smoke-filled areas.
- Prior to opening any door, feel it from top to bottom. If it is hot, do not proceed and find an alternate escape route.
- If the door is cool to the touch, crouch low and open the door slowly.
- If there is smoke present, close the door quickly so that you do not inhale the smoke. If there is no smoke present, proceed to exit the building.
- If you are trapped in the building:
- Keep the doors closed.
- Seal the cracks and vents if smoke comes in.
- If there is no smoke outside the window, open the windows to let the heat and smoke out and to let fresh air in.
- Hang an object outside of the window to attract the attention of the Fire Department and others that might be outside.
- If possible dial 911 to let them know of your situation and your location.