UIU ALERT: Friday, May 18 - The Alexandria Center is closed. Students may call the Baton Rouge office if they need assistance at 225-923-2331.
Internship Center: Resources and Assistance
Why do an internship?
"Internships provide you with an opportunity to learn in a real work environment with professionals in your field . . . you'll be able to develop key competencies,
skills, and work characteristics that employers seek . . . You'll also have a better
understanding of what people in your field do, gain more confidence in your abilities, and learn how to get things done. In general, you'll be better prepared to enter the world of work and your field."
--- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE)
Definition of an Internship:
"An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent." --- NACE
For more information on internships, read the NACE internship position paper.
- Tips for interns
- Jobweb.com internship article
- Resume, interviewing, and other UIU resources
- Job search sites
- Iowa Student Internship Program
- John Deere
- Iowa Sports Foundation
- Northeast Iowa Resource Conservation & Development
- Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation
- Rockwell Collins
- Top Intern Employers (Collegegrad.com)
- internships-usa.com *Contact UIU Office of Career Development at email@example.com for username and password
- Monster.com Internship Search
- www.ecojobs.com/subscriptions.php Pay $$$ subscription
- www.idealist.org/ Nonprofit Internships