Peacock Pride Ignited
FAYETTE, Iowa (October 10, 2018) – The "Peacock Pride Ignited…It’s Lit” Homecoming
celebration officially begins Thursday, October 11. The schedule includes the following
events and activities:
Thursday, October 11
- 5:30 p.m., Welcome Home Dinner: Located at Maue Atrium in the Andres Center for Business
and Education, the all-class reunion dinner is hosted by the Alumni Association. Guests
may enjoy a buffet-style meal and dinner music at Fayette Campus. RSVP is required.
- 7:30 p.m., Pep Rally, Bonfire and Coronation: The public is invited to show its UIU
spirit at the Peacock Pavilion Tailgate Area, located east of Victory Gate (Union
Street across from the Recreation Center and Dorman Gym).
Friday, October 12
- 9 a.m. - noon, Pastries for Peacocks: Stop by the Alumni House, adjacent to the Rec
Center at 513 Union Street in Fayette, for morning treats and coffee. Flip through
old yearbooks and sign the alumni guest book. Guided Campus tours are available.
- 9:30 - 10:30 a.m., Agates, Crystals and Geodes Display: Featuring specimens from the
collection donated to UIU by Burton and Dorthea ’71 Odekirk, and Leora Sullivan ’61.
Persons in attendance are invited to bring specimens or digital images of their own
rocks or fossils for identification by UIU Professor of Geosciences Dr. Kata McCarville.
- 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., A brief presentation will be held at Henderson-Wilder Library
featuring the headstones, UIU heritage and history found in local cemeteries. Self-guided
maps are available.
- 11:30 a.m., Alumni Gale Database Searching: Learn about articles available in a database
filled with content from academic journals and general magazines at Henderson-Wilder
- 12:15 p.m. - 1:30 p.m., A Meet and Greet will be held at Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery
with special guests UIU Professor of Science and Robert L. Fox Endowed Chair of Science
Dr. Scott Figdore, UIU Archivist Janette Garcia and UIU Assistant Professor of Art
Laura Gleissner. The Gallery will feature the works of artist Lee Emma Running, who
has collaborated with the UIU Herbarium collected by Dr. Charles Coleman (C.C.) Parker
in the Fayette area during the late 19th century.
- 1 - 2:30 p.m., Research, Internship and Creative Endeavors: Join the UIU School of
Science and Mathematics in viewing posters detailing the activities and works of many
of the school's undergraduates at Baker-Hebron Hall and Garbee Hall (lower level).
- 3 p.m., Women’s Soccer vs St. Cloud State University at Pattison Field.
- 5:30 p.m., Annual President’s Ball: “Ignite the Night” at the 6th Annual President’s Ball fundraiser. The festivities include a cocktail reception,
dinner program and dance. RSVP is required. All are welcome to attend. More details
are available at uiu.edu/presidentsball.
Saturday, October 13
- 10 a.m., The Homecoming Parade takes to Main Street Fayette. To submit a parade entry,
- 11 a.m., Alumni Awards & Honor Class Luncheon: This event honors the classes of '58,
'68, '78, '88, ‘93 and '98 as well as recognizes the distinguished 2018 Alumni Award
recipients and Heritage Society Members in the Student Center ballrooms. A special
gift is presented to members of the 50-year class. RSVP is required.
Alumni Award recipients include LaVerne McCoy ’98, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Service to
University Award; Robert King ’87, Urbandale, Iowa, Service to Country Award; Cheryl
Hand ’71, Independence, Iowa, Service to Community Award; Kathleen Horstmeyer ’66,
Chester, Connecticut, Professional Accomplishment Award.
- Noon – 2 p.m., Alumni tailgate on the Harms-Eischeid Stadium north patio. The classes
of ’03, ’08 and ’13 are celebrating reunions.
- 2:05 p.m., Homecoming Football Game: UIU vs Bemidji State at Harms-Eischeid Stadium.
Sunday, October 14
- Noon, Women’s soccer vs University of Minnesota Duluth at Pattison Field.
- Blue Pride Fayette Wide: Fayette business owners and residents are invited to show
their Peacock spirit by entering the Blue Pride Fayette Wide contest. Decorations
must be displayed for judging by noon Thursday, October 11. A Campus and community
winner are awarded. To participate, individuals are to send his or her name and street
address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Take a walk down memory lane and view memorabilia from previous UIU homecomings on
the second floor of the Student Center.
- UIU alumni are invited to share their UIU memories with the UIU Archives at Henderson-Wilder
Library. The Archives recording booth is located in the lower level of Henderson-Wilder
Library. For additional information, contact UIU Archivist, Janette Garcia at 563-425-5722
or visit uiu.edu/oralhistory.
- Lee Emma Running Art Exhibit remains open at Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery from 8 a.m.
- 7 p.m. Friday, October 12; 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Saturday, October 13; and 8 a.m. - noon,
Sunday, October 14. Note: An artist talk and reception will be held from 3:30 - 6
p.m. Wednesday, October 10. Running is scheduled to speak at 3:45 p.m.
UIU students exhibit their Peacock Pride throughout Homecoming Week with the remaining
events and activities. For additional details, visit Facebook.com/UIUStudentActivities.
- Wednesday, October 10: Sidewalk Chalk Challenge
- Sunday, October 14: Greek Picnic Cookout
Additional information about UIU’s Peacock Pride Ignited Homecoming events can be
found at uiu.edu/homecoming.
About Upper Iowa University Founded in 1857, Upper Iowa University is a private, nonprofit university providing undergraduate and graduate degree programs to about 5,800 students–nationally and internationally–at its Fayette campus, 21 U.S. locations, as well as a location in Hong Kong. Upper Iowa University is a recognized innovator in offering accredited, quality programs through flexible, multiple delivery systems, including online and self-paced degree program. With a focus on developing leaders and lifelong learners, UIU provides dual enrollment programs for high school students as well as continuing education and professional development opportunities for learners of any age. For more information, visit uiu.edu.
Michael Van Sickle
Editorial Services Director
Office of Communication and Marketing