UIU to host Peacock Spirit 101 Homecoming October 26-28
FAYETTE, Iowa (October 2, 2017) – As Halloween approaches, Upper Iowa University (UIU)
is enlisting the help of spine-chilling ghosts, hair-raising ghouls, and fearless
UIU support during the Peacock Spirit 101 Homecoming celebration Thursday-Saturday,
The Upper Iowa University Homecoming schedule includes the following events and activities.
Additional information about UIU’s Peacock Spirit 101 Homecoming events can be found
Thursday, October 26
- 6 p.m., Welcome Home Dinner: Located at Maue Atrium in the Andres Center for Business
and Education, the all-class reunion dinner is hosted by the Alumni Association. Guests
may enjoy a buffet style meal and dinner music at beautiful Fayette Campus. RSVP is
- 7:30 p.m., Pep Rally, Bonfire and Coronation: The public is invited to show its UIU
spirit at the Peacock Pavilion Tailgate Area, located east of Victory Gate (Union
Street across from Dorman Gym).
- 7:30 p.m., Art Exhibition and Dessert Reception: View amazing artwork, while enjoying
complimentary desserts at Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery. The gallery will also be open
Friday 8 a.m. - 7 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Sunday 8 a.m. - noon.
Friday, October 27
- 9 a.m., Pastries for Peacocks: Stop by the Alumni Office for morning treats and coffee
at Parker-Fox Hall. Flip through old yearbooks and sign the alumni guest book. Guided
Campus tours will be available.
- 10 a.m. - noon, Iowa's Fossil History Exhibit: Following a brief presentation at 10:30
a.m. at Henderson-Wilder Library, guests are invited to bring rocks or fossils from
their own collections to be identified.
- 1 - 2:30 p.m., Research, Internship and Creative Endeavors: Join the School of Science
and Mathematics in viewing posters detailing the activities and works of the school's
undergraduates at Baker-Hebron Hall and Garbee Hall (lower level).
- 10 a.m. - 4 p.m., MVSC Open House and Dedication Ceremony: An open house will be held
for the University’s new Military and Veterans Service Center (MVSC) from 10 a.m.
- 4 p.m. A dedication ceremony featuring UIU President William R. Duffy, UIU Director
of Military and Veterans Services Chad Cook and a Student Veterans Club officer will
be held at 2 p.m. Those wishing to attend these events are asked to enter Garbee Hall’s
north entrance nearest to the Andres Center.
- 3 p.m., UIU Women's Soccer: Cheer on the women’s soccer team as they play Minnesota
State University, Mankato at Pattison Field.
- 5:30 p.m., President's Masquerade Ball: Fun, friendship and fundraising will be celebrated
during the 5th Annual President's Ball. Guests may enjoy a cocktail reception at 5:30
p.m., with a dinner program and dancing to follow. Masks will be provided for this
elegant affair. Ticket costs and additional details are available at uiu.edu/presidentsball.
Saturday, October 28
- 10 a.m., Homecoming Parade: The Peacock Spirit 101 Homecoming Parade takes to Main
Street Fayette. Anyone wishing to submit a parade entry, may contact Naomi Aziz, UIU
director of annual giving, at 563-425-5966 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 11 a.m., Alumni Awards & Honor Class Luncheon: This event honors the classes of '47,
'57, '67, '77, '92 and '07 as well as recognize our distinguished 2017 Alumni Award
recipients and Heritage Society Members in the Student Center ballrooms. A special
gift will be presented to members of the 50-year class.
- 2 p.m., Homecoming Football Game: Peacock fans are invited to help fill Harms-Eischeid
Stadium as the football team takes to the field against Southwest Minnesota State
University. Kickoff is officially set for 2:07 p.m.
- 6 p.m., Post-Game Bash: Celebrate Peacock pride in downtown Fayette with live music,
a street dance and Halloween costume. Food vendors will be on site.
- Take a walk down memory lane and view memorabilia from previous UIU homecomings on
the second floor of the Student Center.
- UIU alumni are invited to share their UIU memories with the UIU Archives. The Archives
recording booth is located in the lower level of Henderson-Wilder Library. For additional
information, contact UIU Archivist, Janette Garcia at 563-425-5722 or visit uiu.edu/oralhistory.
- A minerals, rocks and fossils display featuring specimens donated to the UIU collection
by Burton and Dorothea '71 Odekirk and Leora Sullivan '61 will be open daily from
8 a.m. - 8 p.m. in the Garbee Hall Sustainability Solarium.
UIU students will show their Peacock Pride throughout Homecoming Week with the following
events and activities. For additional details, visit Facebook.com/UIUStudentActivities.
- Sunday, October 22: Student Fashion Show, hosted by Beta Theta Omega
- Monday, October 23: Comedy Night, featuring Pete Lee
- Tuesday, October 24: Window Painting, King and Queen Voting
- Wednesday, October 25: Sidewalk Chalk Challenge
- Sunday, October 29: Greek Picnic Cookout
About Upper Iowa University Founded in 1857, Upper Iowa University is a private, not-for-profit university providing
undergraduate and graduate degree programs to about 5,800 students–nationally and
internationally–at its Fayette campus, 25 U.S. education locations, as well as locations
in Malaysia and Hong Kong. Upper Iowa University is a recognized innovator in offering
accredited, quality programs through flexible, multiple delivery systems, including
online and self-paced degree program. With a focus on developing leaders and lifelong
learners, UIU provides dual enrollment programs for high school students as well as
continuing education and professional development opportunities for learners of any
age. For more information, visit uiu.edu.
Michael Van Sickle
Editorial Services Director
Office of Communication and Marketing