||Assistant Professor of Biology
Office: Baker-Hebron 104
My goal is to encourage student interest in the outdoors and nature so I take them
outside every chance we get. At Upper Iowa students are able to take a wide range
of specialized field courses that are traditionally only found at larger universities,
but they also get the advantage of small classes and personalized education that come
with attending a small college.
B.A. Biology & Political Science, Luther College
M.S. Animal Ecology, Iowa State University
Ph.D. Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Iowa State University
Courses in which I hope to see you
- Bio 140 Principles of Biology II
- Bio 335 Ecology
- Bio 365 Conservation Biology
- Bio 385 Ornithology
- Bio 391 Mammalogy
- Bio 430 Wildlife Management
- American Ornithologists’ Union
- Association of Field Ornithologists
- Cooper Ornithological Society
- Ecological Society of America
- Iowa Academy of Science
- Iowa Ornithologists’ Union
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- Waterbird Society
- Wildlife Society
- Wilson Ornithological Society
Conservation, behavior, and population ecology of Iowa wildlife species, particularly
of birds. I am currently studying the breeding biology of Cerulean Warblers and Acadian
Flycatchers in northeast Iowa but I also have students studying hibernating bats at
Maquoketa Caves State Park and overwintering Bald Eagle use of agricultural fields.
- Skrade, P. D. B., and S. J. Dinsmore. 2013. Egg crypsis in a ground-nesting shorebird
influences nest survival. Ecosphere 4:151.
- Skrade, P. D. B., and S. J. Dinsmore. 2013. Egg size investment in a bird with uniparental
care by both sexes. Condor 115:508–514.
- Skrade, P. D. B., and S. J. Dinsmore. 2012. Incubation patterns of a shorebird with
rapid multiple clutches, the Mountain Plover (Charadrius montanus). Canadian Journal of Zoology 90:257– 266.
- Skrade, P. D. B., and S. J. Dinsmore. 2010. Sex-related dispersal in the Mountain
Plover (Charadrius montanus). Auk 127:671–677.
- McVey, K. J., P. D. B. Skrade, and T. A. Sordahl. 2008. Use of a communal roost by
Turkey Vultures in northeastern Iowa. Journal of Field Ornithology 79:170–175.
- Skrade, P. D. B., and S. J Dinsmore. August 2013. Age-specific breeding probabilities
for the Mountain Plover (Charadrius montanus). Joint meeting of the American Ornithologists’ Union and Cooper Ornithological Society,
- Dinsmore, S. J., and P. D. B. Skrade. September 2012. Olfactory and visual nest defenses
of the Mountain Plover. 38th Annual Meeting of the International Wader Study Group,
Séné, Brittany, France.
- Skrade, P. D. B., and S. J. Dinsmore. August 2011. Incubation activity of Mountain
Plovers in Phillips County, Montana. Fourth Meeting of the Western Hemisphere Shorebird
Group, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Skrade, P. D. B., and S. J. Dinsmore. July 2011. Maternal investment in Mountain Plover
egg volume.129th Meeting of the American Ornithologists’ Union, Jacksonville, FL.
- Skrade, P. D. B., and S. J. Dinsmore. February 2010. Incubation behavior of the Mountain
Plover. Joint meeting of the American Ornithologists’ Union, the Cooper Ornithological
Society, and the Society of Canadian Ornithologists, San Diego, CA.
- Skrade, P. D. B., and S. J. Dinsmore. March 2009. Dispersal patterns in breeding Mountain
Plovers (Charadrius montanus). Third Meeting of the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Group, Mazatlan, Mexico.
- Skrade, P. D. B., and S. J. Dinsmore. August 2007. Movements of Mountain Plovers within
and between breeding seasons.125th Meeting of the American Ornithologists’ Union,