Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Why study Master of Business Administration?
The MBA is a forward-thinking curriculum providing students a perspective in leadership, functional department integration, ethical management and risk assessment. The program provides learners the opportunity to examine ethical and managerial issues in a respected educational environment supporting life-long learning.
The curriculum for the Master of Business Administration degree consists of 36 semester credits of graduate level course work, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for completion. At UIU, three semester credit courses are scheduled in six, eight-week terms each year.
Complete course description and degree requirements are available in the current Academic Catalog.
Upper Iowa University's MBA program is divided into three areas of concentration:
- The Core is completed by each MBA student. The curriculum consists of a forward-thinking academic program that develops comprehension and competence in financial risk, economics and change, innovation through sustainability, current legal implications, and product improvement and market analysis. Students apply business theories and practices across all functional areas of an organization. Many courses include teamwork among students in preparation for entering the corporate world, a skill sought by many organizations.
- Each student chooses one of five areas of emphases:
- Corporate Financial Management
- General Management
- Human Resources Management
- Organizational Development
Competencies in the specific emphasis areas are developed using a curriculum that combines theory and application; giving the learner the knowledge and skills to assess business practices against theories and models, understand the creation of customer value, and assess the impact of economic systems and regulations on functional responsibilities while developing leadership roles for a sustainable business.
- The Research Seminar is a capstone experience. The learner prepares a researched report, demonstrating the integration of knowledge and skills learned in the emphasis and throughout the program.
What students are saying:
"I started my MBA while living in Belfast Northern Ireland. With my passion for travel and a flexible asynchronous class schedule, Upper Iowa University has made this journey possible with astute faculty and support." - Fiona, a current student
Upper Iowa is a nationally recognized leader in distance education serving over 3,000 degree-seeking students from around the world.
- Academically qualified faculty with practitioner experience
- No on-campus residency
- Six convenient start dates throughout the year.
- Flexible schedule for accelerated degree completion
- Asynchronous courses allow you to attend class anytime during the day or night
- Maximum transfer of credits; military, ACE, CLEP, DSST, and experiential learning
- Five 8-week sessions and an accelerated, 6-week summer session
SHRM Certified Programs:
Upper Iowa University is proud to have its Masters of Business Administration with an emphasis in HRM certified by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). The courses in the Human Resource Management emphasis align with the SHRM curriculum guidelines.
Coursework encourages the exploration of theories and methods to manage personnel resources and understand staffing needs in a competitive, team-centered environment. The emphasis expands on management of labor and employment laws; practices related to applications, hiring procedures and workforce issues; how organizational governance, power and culture impact human resources. Students will design, develop and understand how to implement a succession plan; be able to outline and integrate crisis management plans; understand international labor management, compensation and benefits, and diversity protocol.
For more information about SHRM, visit the SHRM website.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) is offered at the following Upper Iowa University locations: