Report of May 8, 2012
In addition to determining assumptions and setting the procedural ground rules, Task Force 2, identified the following Transformative Ideas on which to work:
Transformative Idea 1
- Adapt UIU structure to include transforming all divisions to Schools.
- This is already underway – with the Andres School of Education – but must be completed as soon as practicable for the other divisions. o Will provide much needed, improved oversight of academic programs.
- Connecting all faculty, full-time and adjunct, in all learning experiences, to the "home" academic school can better be achieved.
- Deans within the Schools will assure UIU greater connection between academic units and areas such as fund-raising, as well as allow for better coordination of academic programs at the Deans Council level.
- Each school – with a Dean – will have more of a strategic view for the majors and programs in the school.
Transformative Idea 2
- Create within the UIU structure a physical/virtual entity for support of all teaching, research and learning.
- This would centralize – while allowing for necessary variations on themes for specific learning experiences – a wide array of support services and initiatives, including but not limited to academic support services, retention initiatives, career services, tutoring, support of service learning, support of faculty-led undergraduate research, instructional support, and virtually anything that would fit into one of four themes: 1)Academic 2)Co-curricular 3)Technological 4)Career
- This could be a place to integrate the concept Task Force 2 has discussed as to environmental scanning and internal adoption of instructional technologies used in high schools and elsewhere that can enhance seamless enrollment of high-performing students into all of UIU's learning experiences. Could also be a mechanism for realizing academic and curricular recommendations from Task Force 1.
- Such a structural entity could also be the framework to coordinate initiatives that would serve all academic schools, such as the "university college" or a "global studies' major, and enhance activities associated with a variety of the UIU Strategic Initiatives.
Transformative Idea 3
- Establish an "academic incubator" capability in the UIU structure.
- This would be akin to a research and development enterprise in a profit sector firm designed to develop new products.
- The function of the academic incubator would be to identify potential new programs and evaluate them as to feasibility for UIU implementation.
- This enterprise would coordinate and integrate information learned about potential new programs with all constituents of UIU - academic Schools, the Development Office, IEC, Communications and Marketing, Academic Extension, International Programs, OSD, Career Development, and on and on.
- Dependent upon further discussion, this idea could be adapted to a "seed money" concept for initial funding of new programs.