International and American undergraduate students serve as International Ambassadors to support the IEP students both academically and socially. International Ambassadors assist IEP students in the following ways:
- Mentoring Sessions
- Exclusively for new students
- At least three sessions per semester
- Designed to assist with adjustment to an American university
- "ESL Zone"
- Held each week for all IEP students
- Opportunity for IEP students to further deepen their knowledge of what they are learning in the classroom.
- In-class Assistance
- Diversifies the classroom
- Students gain additional help on an individual and group basis
How to Become an International Ambassador
A potential candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Native English speaker or advanced level of English fluency (Current ESL students are not eligible)
- Enthusiastic and strongly committed to helping people
- Knowledgeable of American Culture
- Able to articulate the mission of Upper Iowa University
- Responsible, flexible, and a sincere team player
- Good organizational skills
- Good cross-cultural communication skills
- A transcript that reflects diligence in academic work
For more information about the International Ambassadors Program, please contact CIE.
To apply to become an International Ambassador, please submit the application.