The Management Information Systems major prepares you for a career or graduate study. The coursework is designed to provide preparation for a variety of technical jobs. The major emphasizes the management of information systems so that graduates can ultimately assume Information Technology managerial positions. The program is interdisciplinary in nature with specialized training in information systems, management, and information technology.
The major provides you with strong technical skills in addition to a broad background in business. You will also gain the understanding, skills, and experience necessary to succeed in an Information Technology career.
In addition to a solid technical background, Management Information Systems majors need a solid business background to be successful. At UIU, we ensure that background by requiring completion of business core courses in accounting, business law, economics, ethics, management, management information systems, marketing, and statistics.
LOCATION: Main residential campus in Fayette, Iowa, UIU Educational Centers, Online, and Independent Study Program.
(3) BA 160 Microeconomic Principles
(3) BA 161 Macroeconomic Principles
(3) BA 201 Accounting Principles I
(3) BA 202 Accounting Principles II
(3) BA 208 Marketing Principles
(3) BA 210 Management Principles
(3) BA 222 Management Information Systems
(3) BA 302 Business Law I
(3) BA 341 Corporate Financial Management
(3) MATH 220 Elementary Statistics
(3) PHIL 202 Contemporary Ethics OR BA 225 Business Ethics
(3) BA 356 Quantitative Decisions in Business
Total: 36 credits
Area of Emphasis:
- (3) MIS 201 Principles of Computer Programming
- (3) MIS 210 COBOL Programming
- (3) MIS 377 Systems Analysis and Design
- (3) MIS 384 Advanced Computer Programming
- (3) MIS 388 Telecommunications and Networks
- (3) MIS 415 Database Management
- (3) MIS 435 Information Systems Strategies (Cases)
One of the following (3):
- BA 317 International Management
- BA 424 Global Marketing
- BA 463 International Finance
- BA 488 Economics of International Business
Total: 24 credits