Living in Community 

When considering what residence life at UIU can be for you, remember one thing: much of what living on campus really offers are what you and some 350 students like yourself bring to it.

Your attitude toward and your enthusiasm for your new living situation, and particularly for the living group and university you have chosen, is the real key in determining what your new life will be like. We do promise one thing: given the opportunity, we will do all we can to make you feel welcome and at home!

You will find your Residence Life Staff extremely valuable in defining the accepted limits of behavior in the residence halls. They are there to be examples and advisors and, when necessary, to monitor and enforce University housing policy. If you are experiencing problems, they are there to listen. And likewise, they deserve your listening to them.

Residence Life Staff

The staff of the Residence Life Program performs a variety of functions in order to operate the residence halls and provide service to you. The people filling the positions are available to assist you during your stay in the residence hall facilities.

Working to create a safe, educational and comfortable environment for the residents are both professional and paraprofessional staff. These include the Dean of Student Life, the Residence Area Coordinators and Resident Assistants (RA’s).

The Residence Area Coordinator is a full-time employee of Student Life who lives in the hall, and his/her duties range from personal counseling to facility management. Each has their own focus, Educational Initiatives and Service Programs.  The Resident Assistants are undergraduate students who live on the floors and serve as a resource to residents. All staff members are considered University officials and have the responsibility to carry out duties in the residence halls. As such, any request made by them should be followed. If any of these members are misusing their authority, a report should be filed with the Dean of Student Life.

The Role of Residential Life in Your University Experience

What you can expect from your Resident Assistant (RA):

  • To be a friend.
  • To be a resource—someone who will either have answers for you or will know where to get them.
  • To be a helper—someone who can listen and ask questions to help clarify problems and move toward solutions.
  • To be accepting of others and appreciate the differences in their beliefs, culture and lifestyles.
  • To be good-natured and consistent.
  • To hold students responsible for their actions and behavior—to confront floor members who are infringing on the rights of others.
  • To keep you informed of campus happenings and programs.
  • To be someone who will help you meet people.
  • To set up floor meetings where you will get to know the members of your community and develop an agreement of how you will all live together.
  • To support and assist community members who wish to get involved in hall activities.
  • To get valuable information posted and available to students.
  • To provide opportunities to discuss current issues, programs and events.
  • To help resolve conflicts between roommates or community members.

What you cannot expect from your Resident Assistant (RA):

  • To patrol the halls at all times for Quiet Hours violations or uphold courtesy hours—if things are too loud, you are responsible for asking your community members to please quiet down, and if you still have problems, then contact your RA or the RA on duty.
  • To always be on your floor—they have studies, classes and other activities.
  • To solve your problems for you—although assistance will be offered.
  • To turn their backs on violations—you are responsible for your own decisions.
  • To never make mistakes.

Community Information

Activities and Programs

The Residence Life staff and student groups such as the Peacock Entertainment Crew (PEC) plan and implement activities of a social, educational and recreational nature. Residents are encouraged to suggest ideas and participate in planning.  A variety of programs and activities are offered that help residents meet others, discuss current issues and adjust to college life.

Breaks and Hall Closing

The residence halls will close during the semester break in December. During this time all residents must be out of the building by 7 p.m. on the last day of finals. Extensions will be granted on a case-by-case basis. If a resident needs to return early, the resident must contact Student Life. Between all other term breaks, spring break, Thanksgiving, Easter and any other University holidays, the halls will remain open for residents who have reason to stay. During these times there will be no food service, and a resident must register in Student Life in order to remain in the residence.


Residents must initially check into a room with a Residence Life staff member. At this time, they will be given a room assignment and a key. Signing in at the front desk, accepting a room key or moving belongings into a room constitutes binding acceptance of the housing contract and obligates the resident for the full amount of the semester’s room fee. For a resident’s protection from any possible mistaken damage charges, the resident must review and sign the room condition form which will be used in assessing any future damages occurring to the assigned room.


Residents must check out of the residence hall with a Residence Life staff member within 24 hours after withdrawal from school or by 7 p.m. on the day of their last final examination. Extensions will be granted on a case-by-case basis. A resident must make an appointment to check out with an RA at least 24 hours in advance of departure.  Failure to schedule a time will result in the resident waiting until the next available time.  Residents must clean and remove all personal property from their room before checkout can occur. If the resident is a graduating senior or participating in graduation, he or she must register in Student Life in order to remain in the residence halls until the day of commencement.  If property is left in the room and is not claimed within 48 hours of check out, it will be considered abandoned property and the University reserves the right to dispose of it.


Furniture and Facilities

The furniture in the student rooms and in other areas of the residence hall is provided for residents to use and deserves care. Each resident is provided with a single bed, dresser, desk, desk chair, and a wardrobe/closet to share with his or her roommate.   All University furniture provided in a resident’s room must remain in its original room. 

Internet Access in Residence Hall Rooms

Internet access in the residence halls is free and provided by Apogee (  Residence hall Internet problems or questions should be directed to Apogee at (855) 813-7009, or e-mail Higher speed and gaming packages are also available through Apogee for an additional cost.   Students are responsible for the installation, configuration, and updates of an anti-virus program with security patches. Anyone with any questions regarding e-mail or the Internet at UIU can contact the IT Help Center at (563) 425-5876 or e-mail

Cable Television

Each room is wired for cable, and the University provides basic cable free of charge. If a resident would like additional pay channels, they must contact Mediacom at 1-800-332-0245. If a resident needs a cable and/or adapters, they may be purchased at the local hardware store.


Students are responsible for keeping their rooms clean and taking their garbage to the nearest dumpster.  Housekeeping is responsible for the upkeep of common areas; hallways, bathrooms, et al. 


Keys to University buildings are not to be duplicated. Students may not possess University keys unless issued by a University official. Keys that are found must be turned in immediately to Student Life.

Each resident will be given a room key when they check into the residence hall. To ensure the safety of the residents’ possessions, we ask them to LOCK THEIR ROOM DOOR WHEN THEY ARE AWAY, EVEN IF IT IS JUST FOR A MINUTE, OR WHILE THEY ARE VISITING WITH ANOTHER RESIDENT DOWN THE HALL. When checking out of the residence hall, residents must return their key to their RA or Residence Life staff member.  If a resident is locked out of his or her room, they may contact a residence life staff member or Student Life for assistance. 

If a resident of Garbee Hall or Lee Tower loses his or her key, they must report it to Student Life or their RA as soon as possible. In this case, a third key can be checked out from Student Life for a period of 24 hours. If the key is not found, the lock will be changed to ensure the resident’s safety. A fee of $50 will be charged to Garbee Hall residents for a new lock and key.  A fee of $200 will be charged to Lee Tower residents for a new lock and key for their suite/apartment.

Residents of South Village use their student ID card for room entry.  If a student’s ID card is lost, stolen or damaged, a new one may be obtained in Student Life for a $15 fee.


UIU provides residents with free washers and dryers. For residents’ convenience, machines are located on each floor of Garbee Hall, South Villages and Lee Tower. If there is a problem with a machine, a resident should report it to a Residence Life staff member immediately.


Garbee Hall and South Village — There is a common kitchen in Garbee Hall and in each South Village building. These kitchens are for all residents’ use. As a courtesy to others, it is expected that all residents clean up the area after they use it. The hours of availability for the kitchens will be determined by the care in which the residents take with the facilities. Housekeeping will do daily cleaning of these kitchens and will update the Residence Life Staff on the condition of the facilities.

Lee Tower — Each community living area is furnished with a full kitchen. As a courtesy to the community members, it is expected that the residents clean up the area after they use it. These kitchens and their care are the sole responsibility of the community living group.

Vending. Vending machines are located in the residence halls. If there is a problem with the machines, or if you need a refund, notify food service at (563) 425-5491 or x5494.

Sick Trays

If a resident is ill and wants food, another resident can get him/her a sick tray by contacting a Resident Assistant or, the food service at (563) 425-5494 or Student Life at (563) 425-5215 or

Housekeeping Services

The residence halls have a fine staff of housekeepers assigned to do general cleaning of public and common areas, bathrooms, lounges, kitchens and hallways. The housekeeping staff members are people that we hope you will come to know, respect and appreciate.

Housekeepers work cooperatively with the students to make each residence hall a clean and safe place to live. Other specific tasks are done in order to maintain good housekeeping throughout the halls. They have a heavy workload and are not expected to clean up after parties, practical jokes or any other unusual or excessive messes.  Residents will be charged a fee for common area clean up.  Individual room cleaning is the responsibility of each resident.

Maintenance Services

Although every effort is made to maintain physical facilities in as good condition as possible, fixtures and furnishings will occasionally need repair. The maintenance staff is available for repairs in halls or in your room. If you need a repair in your room or want to report a leaking faucet, the maintenance staff is happy to assist. In either case, contact the RA so he or she can submit a work order to Facilities Management and Services. If the RA is not available, contact any Residence Life staff member. If it is an emergency, you can contact Student Life during the weekdays, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at (563) 425-5215, or the RA on duty during the evenings and weekends at (563) 379-1407.

Medical Emergencies

If medical problems arise late at night, early in the morning, or on weekends, get in touch with Student Life (daytime) or Campus Police (day or night) or your Resident Assistant. They will contact a physician or hospital of your choice. Students requiring hospitalization (supervised by the local medical clinic) are taken to the Palmer Lutheran Health Center in West Union, only eight miles from campus. Emergency care is available 24 hours a day. The University reserves the right to call emergency services (i.e. ambulance); however, the University assumes no responsibility for the charges incurred for emergency services.

Parents are notified of the hospitalization of a son or daughter if he or she is under 18, is unconscious or gives consent. If the student medical form has been signed and includes written consent, parents will be notified through Student Life before hospitalization occurs. The costs of hospitalization are the responsibility of the student. To assure you of prompt medical care in case of an emergency, Student Life will ask you to complete a Medical History Form. This form will be kept in Student Life for quick reference if medical help is needed.


The electrical wiring and circuit capacity are only adequate for one microwave per room and inadequate for any other cooking appliances. All microwave units are limited to 1100 watts maximum.  No microwaves are permitted in student rooms in Lee Tower, since each suite area is provided with a microwave in the kitchen area.

Personal Property Insurance

While the campus has a relatively low crime rate, it is important to remember that no community can be totally risk-free from incidents that cause property loss and damage. Care and protection of both community and personal property is a shared responsibility of all its members. 

Personal property can be damaged by accidents and unexpected natural events, such as sudden weather changes. Property can also be stolen if not properly safeguarded.  Students are strongly urged to take all necessary precautions to protect their own personal property. Students are urged to take valuable personal property home with them at breaks. DO NOT leave valuables unsecured in rooms.  It is best to keep room doors locked at all times. The University does not carry insurance covering the personal property of residents or staff. If a resident does not have insurance through his or her parents’ home-owner’s policy, it is recommended that personal property insurance or rental insurance be purchased. 

NSSI Student Personal Property Plan®

Personalizing Your Space

Creating a “home” while living in University residence halls makes the room or apartment more pleasant and comfortable. Extras such as small pieces of furniture, plants, lamps, rugs, bedspreads and posters can personalize the room. When planning to decorate, it is important to keep in mind that no permanent changes may be made to the spaces, and any damage done in decorating the room (or removing decor at the end of the year) will result in a charge to the resident.

Room painting is done by the University Facilities Management and Services staff on a rotation system.  Students are not authorized to paint their rooms unless authorized in writing by the Dean of Student Life. If the painted walls in your room are in need of repair, please report the situation to the Residence Area Coordinator.

Private Rooms

When empty rooms become available, private rooms will be offered on a priority list based upon cumulative GPA and earned credit hours. Residents need to see the Residence Area Coordinator to apply. In paying for a private room, the resident will not have to accept another roommate for that semester.

Refrigerators, Electrical Appliances and Multi-Plugs

Refrigerators are permitted in student rooms with no more than one per resident. The total refrigerator capacity allowed in one room cannot be any larger than 5.5 cubic feet. 

Consideration should be given to the number of electrical appliances brought to campus. Because of limited electrical outlets, the use of multiple plugs is limited to multi-plug strips with a circuit breaker switch. Residents should bring a portable plug-in outlet unit with a 20-AMP load limit and a safety reset switch. No multi-end extension cords are allowed. If you are in doubt about any other type of appliance, please check with the Dean of Student Life or Residence Area Coordinator.

Residency Policy

All students are required to live in University residence halls and maintain a meal plan  during their first three years at UIU.   All requests to live off-campus are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.  Requests are rarely granted. Students who fail to take up residency or live/move off campus without permission will be charged a $3,000 penalty fee per year for the duration of the residency. They will also be required to enroll, at a minimum, in the 80-Meal Commuter Meal Plan every year for the duration of the residency requirement.

Exceptions to the residence hall policy are very limited.  If a student:

  1. Lives in their primary residence within 30 miles of Fayette for 365 days prior to enrollment;
  2. Is enrolled for the 5th term or more of his/her college education after having transferred to UIU from another accredited institution; 
  3. Provides documentation supporting a need for accommodation that is satisfied by residing off campus;
  4. Is married or has dependent children; or
  5. Is 22 years of age or older (students who turn 22 during the academic year may apply for off-campus status at the end of the semester following their birthday).
  6. Has completed their third year of residency in university/college.

The student must submit an Off-Campus/Commuter Request Form on myUIU verifying any of the above conditions to Student Life no later than 30 days prior to the start of the semester.

Room Assignments

Preferences for a specific hall, room and/or roommate are preferences only and are not guaranteed. The resident may be assured that Student Life will give careful consideration to specific requests for hall/room/roommate assignments and will comply with requests if possible. The University reserves the right to make changes in hall/room assignments in the event of emergency situations.

Returning residents are given priority over new residents in their requested assignments. All returning residents are given tentative room assignments in the spring.  Room assignments for new students are made in the summer. Priority exists as long as the resident’s financial obligations, housing application and contract have been received in a timely manner. Student Life reserves the right to assign or reassign any student that has not fulfilled his or her obligations. 

Intensive English Program (IEP).  Students enrolled in the Intensive English Program (IEP) are required to live in a double room with a roommate whose only common language is English.  IEP students must receive permission from Residence Hall professional staff and the Center for International Education before changing rooms.

Room Changes

Adjusting to another person in close quarters requires patience and perseverance. If a resident has roommate difficulty, the residence hall staff will request that roommates discuss their differences and will help facilitate the discussion if desired. Often that is all it takes to develop a peaceful coexistence. If the situation cannot be resolved, room changes are made when space is available. If the room change results in a room rate difference, the room change will occur at the following term.  If a resident would like to change rooms, he or she must contact their Resident Assistant and the Residence Area Coordinator to review the situation.  

Room Consolidation

If vacancies occur in double rooms (roommate doesn’t move in, roommate moves to another room, roommate graduates, roommate withdraws from the University), it is the responsibility of the remaining student to work with Student Life in selecting a new roommate.  Students who have contracted for a double room will be notified regarding consolidation.  The student is to contact the residence life staff who will provide a list of possible roommates.  It is the responsibility of the student to accept a roommate whether selected by the student or by the residence life staff in order to maintain the double room rate.  If the student elects to maintain a single room or if the room change results in a change in room rate, the student will be directed to complete a Room Change Request Form for the following term, which overrides the original contract. Payment is due at that time.

Room Dimensions and Furnishings

Garbee Hall is the primary living area for residence hall students. North Tower has two and one-half floors for women, and South Tower has four floors for men. Each floor contains 36 rooms, a laundry room and a community bathroom. On the second floor of each tower is a kitchen for all students to use.  All rooms are designed for two students. Rooms measure 12' x 15' and contain two desks, two beds, two wardrobes, two dressers, two desk chairs, and two bookshelf units.

Lee Tower is comprised of six suites with two suites per floor and is capable of housing 48 residents. Each suite contains four bedrooms (two students per bedroom), two bathrooms, a kitchen and living room area. Each suite is equipped with a TV and a full kitchen including stove, refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher. Each floor shares a laundry facility. Air conditioning is provided. Each bedroom contains two beds, two dressers, two movable desks with desk light and bookshelf, two desk chairs, and two built-in closets. Lee Tower is designed for upper-class students who are ready for a more independent lifestyle. Students are able to apply in the spring for the following year.

South Village 1 is located just south of Lee Tower.  The suite-style building consists of 24 suites.   The size and occupancy of these suites varies from a super single room with a private bathroom to a 3, 4, 5 or 6 person suite.  Each suite has a bathroom, living room with TV and air conditioning. Bedrooms are equipped with a bed, dresser, desk, desk chair and built-in closets for each resident.  Students are able to apply in the Spring for the following year.  Laundry facilities, lounge area and community kitchen are available on each floor. 

South Village 2 is located west of South Village 1.  The new suite-style building consists of 25 suites.  The size and occupancy of these suites varies from a super single room with a private bathroom to a 3, 4, 5 or 6 person suite.  The amenities of South Village 2 resemble South Village 1 with the exception that each suite has their own kitchenette (refrigerator, microwave and sink).

South Village 3 is located west of Lee Tower.  The new suite-style building consists of 28 suites.  The size and occupancy of these suites varies from a super single room with a private bathroom to a 3 and 4 person suite.  The amenities of South Village 3 resemble South Village 1 with the exception that each suite has their own kitchenette (refrigerator, microwave and sink).

Room Entry

UIU believes that a resident’s room is a private domain and may not be entered arbitrarily. However, there are some cases where a student’s personal safety and security are involved.  In these cases the University reserves the rights to have authorized personnel enter and inspect rooms.

A staff member may not enter a resident’s room without the student’s permission, except under the following circumstances:

  1. Some condition exists that constitutes a threat to the safety and well being of the resident and/or fellow residents.
  2. For the purpose of health and safety conditions, to check the physical condition of the room, to make repairs or to perform custodial operations. A 24-hour notice is given for room inspections when possible.
  3. When there is reasonable cause to believe that a student is in violation of University policy and/or constitutes a hazard to the University or to the other students.
  4. When a staff member has reason to believe that a person, certain property and/or the building is in immediate danger.
  5. During vacation times, when the hall staff secures the building by turning off lights, closing windows or disengaging electrical appliances. At these times, the staff member may remove, without permission, any object(s) or materials that constitute a violation of University regulations or a safety or sanitation hazard.

If a staff member enters a room and sees a substance, object or material present that violates regulations, he or she will confiscate the item(s) without the permission of the owner. If items are confiscated, the staff member will document the incident and leave a confiscation receipt for the resident(s).

If you believe that a University staff member has misused or abused his or her authority to inspect a room, a complaint should be filed with the Director of Residence Life.

Roommate Rights

Living with a roommate can be one of the most exciting parts of college. In roommate relationships each person has certain rights:

  1. The right to read and study without undue interference in one’s room.
  2. The right to sleep without undue disturbance from noise, guests of a roommate, etc.
  3. The right to expect that a roommate will respect one’s personal belongings.
  4. The right to a clean environment in which to live.
  5. The right to free access to one’s room and facilities without pressure from a roommate.
  6. The right to personal privacy.
  7. The right to host guests with the expectations that guests are to respect the rights of the host’s roommate and other hall residents.
  8. The right to be free from fear of intimidation, physical and/or emotional harm.

If a resident feels any of these rights are being infringed upon, they should contact a residence life staff member so a roommate mediation session can be called. In most cases, a roommate contract is the result.

Safety and Security

The resident agrees to take primary responsibility for their own safety and security and to support the safety and security of fellow residents and the residence halls. The University and the Department of Residence Life will work cooperatively with residents to promote a safe and secure environment, although absolute safety cannot be guaranteed. The residents agree to read and abide by security policies and precautions stated in the Student Handbook and other University publications that are made available to residents.

Garbee Hall rooms have deadbolt locks and door viewers for additional security. Each room has a smoke detector and the halls are equipped with a fire alarm system. Each floor has extinguishers and fire safety instructions posted. Fire drills are held at least once per semester.

Resident Assistants are on call every night for the residents of the buildings. Any time during the night the staff members are available by phone. Throughout the night, the RAs walk the floors to secure doors and check the well being of the residents and the building. The Garbee Hall front desk (extension 5325) is staffed with a residence life staff member every night. All RA duty information and numbers are made available at the front desk. The residence life staff also presents a variety of safety and security-related programs each year to educate residents about these issues.


Each residence hall room in Garbee Hall and Lee Tower is wired for service with an assigned telephone number. Local service is provided as part of your residence hall charge, but you must provide your own telephone.  Students must have their own calling card program or purchased phone card to make long-distance phone calls from campus.

Community Living Policies

In order for a large number of people to live together successfully, it is the responsibility of each member of the community to respect the needs and rights of the other members. The establishment and enforcement of rules that foster and encourage a proper campus living environment are necessary to the efficient and successful operation of every residence hall. Please remember that you are responsible for your own behavior and must abide by the community standards in order to protect your rights as well as those of others and to make residence living a positive aspect of your college experience.

Residents are responsible for their living area as well as their personal conduct. Residents giving permission for a violation to occur in their room or who are present while others commit a violation can be held accountable as a participant in the violation. Residents wishing not to violate a University policy should temporarily separate themselves from others who may be violating University policies.


Students are expected to abide by statutes of the State of Iowa concerning the consumption, possession, distribution and sale of alcoholic beverages. Highlights of those statutes are as follows:

  1. The minimum age for alcohol purchase and possession is 21 years in the state of Iowa.
  2. It is unlawful to sell or give alcoholic beverages to underage people.
  3. It is illegal to use fake identification (IDs) to obtain alcoholic beverages.

The University does not encourage the consumption of alcohol. However, students who are of legal age may drink alcoholic beverages in the privacy of their room. Hallways, lounges, or public areas are not considered private areas.

As alcohol is for personal consumption at a reasonable level, there is a limit to the amount of alcohol that may be stored by a student in his or her room. This limit is defined as 24 containers of less than 8 percent alcohol (one case of beer), a combined capacity of 288 ounces, or a total of 64 ounces of hard liquor, full or partially full. In addition, alcohol may never be served from a common source* such as a keg, party ball, etc.

Any student who is in violation of the alcohol policy will be confronted. All alcohol, including cases, kegs and tappers, will be confiscated by the staff. Kegs will be emptied. Tappers and kegs will be held by the Dean of  Student Life.


No bicycles are allowed in the halls at any time except during the break periods.  Bicycles can be stored in the racks provided. UIU accepts no responsibility for bicycles or accessories stored in bike racks provided by the University. Purchasing a bike lock from a local hardware store or a discount store is recommended. Personal insurance is strongly recommended.

Bunk Beds, Lofts and Waterbeds

All beds provided in the rooms are bunkable. If attachments to bunk the beds are needed, residents need to see their RA.  Students interested in a loft must rent them through  No lofts will be allowed in Lee Tower or South Village. The University and Department of Residence Life accept no responsibility for improper construction of lofts, poor maintenance of lofts or accidents that may occur while using lofts. Because of problems with filling, draining, weight and dismantling, waterbeds are not permitted in the University-owned residence halls.

Cooking in Rooms

Due to problems with pest control, waste disposal and lack of proper ventilation, cooking in the residence hall rooms is not permitted. The use of “open-element” and “resistance” appliances (e.g., hot plates, toasters, toaster ovens, blenders and popcorn poppers) is not allowed in student rooms. The use of cooking appliances would constitute a fire safety threat.


Repairs to residential facilities must be performed by University personnel. The costs of these repairs include materials and labor; the latter can be as high as $30 per hour. In all cases, trained University professional people must do the work in order to comply with building codes and construction standards. If your room is damaged, do not attempt the repairs yourself. Please contact a Residence Life staff member and report any maintenance needs.

If you lose or damage residential property, even accidentally, you will be billed for it.  This includes any portion of the facility itself, and does not preclude prosecution for vandalism, destruction and/or theft of University property. Report any such damage to the Residence Life staff immediately.

Damages in common areas (lounges, hallways, bathrooms, etc.) are charged to the individuals responsible, if known. Unaccounted for damages will be charged to the residents of the floor, suite area or apartment in which the damage took place. The charges will be divided and charged proportionately to each individual in that living community.  If you see others damaging your hall, ask them to stop. Then advise a staff member immediately.

Discriminatory Harassment

UIU policy prohibits behavior based on another’s status that has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive working or educational environment. Status refers to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability or veteran status. This policy is not intended to, and will not be applied in a way that would violate rights to academic freedom and freedom of expression.


In compliance with federal and state laws, the possession, use, or sale of marijuana or drugs such as barbiturates, amphetamines, narcotics, hallucinogens (LSD, STP, MDA, mescaline, etc.), other addictive compounds or drug paraphernalia are prohibited on the campus proper, in University buildings and in residence hall rooms or communities.


Fire is a serious threat to life, health and property. The burning of candles, use of open flames, storage of flammable materials or use of open-element cooking appliances in the residence halls is not permitted. Residents engaged in pranks using burning materials or suspected of other arson activities will be referred to the Dean of Student Life and are subject to suspension, expulsion and/or civil prosecution.

Fire Alarms and Equipment

Fire alarm pull stations are located on each floor. If there is a fire, pull the alarm and evacuate the building immediately.  Failure to leave a building when directed will result in disciplinary action.   Fire extinguishers are located throughout the residence halls. They are to be used only in the event of a fire.  Exit signs are located strategically throughout the buildings.                

These signs are designed to clearly indicate exit routes. These signs are considered to be fire equipment, so please do not tamper with them.

Smoke detectors have been installed in all residence hall rooms and are considered to be an important link in the fire safety program of the University. Anyone found tampering with room smoke detection equipment will face disciplinary action. Any smoke detector needing maintenance should be reported immediately to a Residence Life staff member. 

Firearms, Weapons and Destructive Devices

To help ensure the safety of the residents, firearms, destructive devices and other weapon-like instruments are not allowed in the residence hall facilities or on the grounds of the residence hall facilities. Possession of ammunition, explosives, dangerous chemicals or noxious substances is prohibited.  See the Weapons Policy for all University guidelines governing weapons.

Fireworks, Explosives and Combustibles

Explosives and highly combustible materials cannot be used or stored in residence halls. This includes fireworks, any kind of explosive device (whether it uses combustible or noncombustible fuel), gasoline, laboratory chemicals, gun powder, paints and paint thinners.

Furniture and Equipment

All students are expected to respect the University’s property, whether it is in a resident’s room or in a public area within a residence hall.  Any University furniture in a student’s room must remain in its original room. If unusual damage occurs in a resident’s room, the residence life staff will conduct an inquiry. If a resident is found responsible for the damage, charges will be assessed. The Director of Maintenance will calculate charges for damages based on a uniform system.  Charges incurred during the semester must be paid immediately at the time of billing.  Furniture in the lounges and other public areas of residence halls is for use by all residents and their guests. Removal of furniture from public areas makes it unavailable to other residents. As a result, students moving furniture from any area of the building will be subject to conduct proceedings and may be adjudicated for theft.


All forms of gambling are prohibited on campus. The University also prohibits gambling at all student-sponsored activities and programs, regardless of location. Raffles are considered gambling and are also prohibited by University regulations.

Halogen Lights

Lamps with halogen bulbs are not permitted.  Halogen lamps are extremely hot and pose a fire and safety hazard.

Inappropriate Behavior

Students are expected to cooperate and be civil with one another, with Residence Life Staff and with any other University officials. A student shall not interfere with, annoy, disturb or obstruct any other student or staff member or the University by means of noise, abusive language or any other nuisance. Students who verbally abuse, or fail to cooperate with, University officials (including all members of the residence life staff) acting in the performance of their duties, will face severe disciplinary action.

Any behavior that is determined to not be conducive to the overall mission of the University will be subject to disciplinary action.


Incense smoke and odors may be unpleasant for many residents of your community and may cause significant health and allergy problems for others. In addition, incense may be used to cover the odor of illegal drugs as well as creating a fire hazard.  Therefore, the burning of incense is prohibited in residence hall buildings (including students’ rooms). 

Inter-Hall Visitation/Guest Policy

Visitation permits residents to host a guest of the opposite sex in their room during the following hours:

Garbee and South Villages: Sunday through Thursday - 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. and Friday and Saturday - 8 a.m. to 3 a.m.

Lee Tower: Open Visitation

Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests. Room occupants have the right to approve all guests and times they may remain in the room during the above hours. Guests must be escorted at all times. Each community may decide to discontinue or restrict the visitation hours for their floor, wing or suite.

Overnight Guests  

Guests of a resident may stay within the halls for a maximum of two days and nights unless special permission is granted by the Residence Area Coordinator or the Dean of Student Life. For safety reasons, students are to register their guests with a Residence Area Coordinator. Guests must be 16 years of age and be accompanied by their host at all times. Family members are not exempt from the age limit. Residents are expected to make all guests aware of the University policies; hosts are responsible for their guests’ actions.

Laser Lights

Laser lights can be harmful if used improperly. These types of lasers have been known to cause damage to the retina in the eye. Therefore, misuse of the laser light is the responsibility of the individual. Students who misuse a laser light are subject to disciplinary action.

Lockdown Procedures

In the event the University initiates a campus lockdown, students are to go to the nearest safe location, lock the door, turn out the lights, turn off any noisy electronic devices, and remain there until given the “all clear.”  Residence Life staff are trained on how to respond during a campus lockdown.  For further detailed information regarding these procedures, contact Campus Police, the Residence Area Coordinator or the Dean of Student Life.

Motor Driven Vehicles

Equipment and vehicles that use combustible fuel are also prohibited in the buildings.  For example, motor bikes, scooters, motorcycles and gasoline-powered equipment must be kept outside of all University residential buildings.

Noise Policy

The realities of community living dictate that individuals respect community needs for the moderation of noise (regardless of quiet hours).  Noise is any sound, human or otherwise, which is disturbing to a resident. In an effort to reduce the amount of noise in the residence halls, specified quiet hours are in effect.

Courtesy Hours.

Courtesy hours are in effect 24 hours a day. This means that noise should never exceed reasonable levels, and if a resident or staff member asks another resident to reduce the level of noise, he or she must comply. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action.

Excessive Noise.

Excessive noise (loud stereos, amplified instruments, parties, loud voices, etc.) is an infringement on the rights of other students and is unacceptable at UIU. Those students with stereos are encouraged to use headphones. While it is the responsibility of all to control noise, it is also the responsibility of those being affected by the noise to contact the offending party and request that the problem be eliminated. All residents must assume responsibility for monitoring their own behavior and asking others who infringe upon their right to sleep and study in their rooms free from undue interference to be more courteous.

Quiet Hours

Quiet hours are maintained in the halls from Sunday through Thursday, 10 p.m. to 10 a.m. and Friday and Saturday, 12 a.m. to 10 a.m.

Pets or Animals

Because of the health risk involved (to humans and pets), no animal(s), with the exception of fish kept in an aquarium, are to be taken into or kept in any residential building. No fish tanks exceeding 25 gallons are permitted in the residence halls. Dogs that assist persons with disabilities are the only exception to this policy.  If you notice stray animals in or around the residence halls please do not abuse, feed or bring the animal into your building.

Room Occupancy

Residence hall rooms have a maximum occupancy of eight people. Violation of this may result in disciplinary action.

Skateboards, Skates and Scooters

Because of the potential of injury to user and nonuser, the use of skateboards, skates (roller blades, roller skates or similar devices), and scooters is prohibited in all buildings.


For the residents’ protection and privacy, soliciting is not permitted in the residence halls. If residents have problems with a solicitor, they need to report the incident immediately to any Campus Police or Residence Life staff member.


Theft of services, tampering with equipment and making obscene or harassing telephone calls is not in keeping with the standards of community at UIU. Individuals are expected to act in accordance with the law and University policies.  It is against University policy to establish an account through an 800 or international number that may be billed back to the University.


Even though the campus has a relatively low crime rate, thefts have occurred. If a theft occurs, please contact your RA or Campus Police immediately so an Incident Report can be filled out.  Please let your RA or Campus Police know if you want a police report for insurance purposes.

The police will come out upon the request of the Director of Residence Life or Campus Police Officer for the student.


Members of the University community are expected to respect University property as if it were their own. In those instances where University property is defaced, damaged, or destroyed by reckless or willful actions, the responsible person(s) will be required to pay for repair or restitution of the property.  When the individual or individuals responsible for the damage cannot be determined, the community will be assessed the cost for repairs or replacements.

Window Screens

Window screens must remain securely in place at all times. Any screen that is removed or damaged will be replaced at a cost to the resident.