Power Outage

Having no electrical, gas, water, and/or sewer capability for a building.


1. Relocate all persons within proximity of building to an alternate location. 
2. Notify campus safety or physical plant regarding the specific problems. 
3. Make appropriate arrangements to accommodate the duration of interruption. 
4. Housing – use Recreation Center – take beds from Garbee to the Rec Center.
5. Food – Provide transportation to and from the elementary school for student meals. 
6. Utilities – Physical plant will contact appropriate utility company to work on restoring capability as soon as possible.


As you exit a damaged building be aware of the structural damage, exit a building only if it is safe to do so. If not then remain where you are at and call out for help. Again do not move injured individuals unless there is a life-threatening situation.

Assisting those with Disabilities, Evacuation Guidelines

It is recommended that for residents of Garbee Hall, Hofmaster Apartments, Lee Towers and South Village I, II and III a "Buddy System" be implemented. A volunteer, along with alternate volunteers, be paired with a person with disabilities to assist them with evacuating the building. Staff personnel should be made aware of these arrangements. For all other buildings on campus, a "Buddy System" can be implemented with staff and faculty assistance.

Persons with Visual Impairments

Inform the individual of the nature of the emergency, offer to guide him/her. As you evacuate the building advise the individual that you are with where you are at, where you are going, obstacle in the way and any other important information. Do not take the individual that you are guiding by the arm, offer your arm instead.

Persons with Hearing Impairments

Writing a note telling the individual of the danger and the safest evacuation route

Tapping the person he shoulder or turning the light switch on and off to gain attention, then indicating through gestures, or in writing, what is happening and what to do. A visual alarm will be installed in the dorm room of a hearing impaired student as well.

Persons Using Crutches, Cane or Walkers

If the individual is having trouble exiting the building in a quick and safe manner then they may be carried out of the building. Options such as the fireman’s carry, two-person locked arm carry may be used. Also the person can be carried out while simply sitting in a chair.

Non - Ambulatory Persons

If assistance is needed remember lifting someone in this state may be painful and may cause injury. Frequently, non-ambulatory individuals have respiratory complications. Remove them from smoke or fumes immediately. Always consult with the person that is being evacuated so to their preference with regard to:

1. Ways of being removed from the wheelchair.
2. The number of people necessary for assistance.
3. Whether to extend or move extremities when lifting because of pain, catheter bags, braces, etc. 
4. Whether a seat cushion or pad should be brought along if he/she is removed from the chair.
5. Being carried forward or backward on a flight of stairs.
6. After-care, if removed from the wheelchair.
7. Once outside you are not to re-enter the structure for any reason.

Once the emergency personnel are on the scene they will be in charge of the scene. The emergency personal will determine when or if it is safe to return to a building. The emergency personnel will also be the one to turn the scene back over to the university.


If there are casualties then the following area will be used as the triage area, providing that the building is still structurally sound and there are no other dangers getting in and out of the building the order of the area of usage is in this order:

1. Recreation Center
2. Dorman Gym
3. Auditorium in Colgrove Walker
4. Tennis Courts

The designated landing zone for the life flight helicopter will be as follows:

Primary: Football practice fields on the East side of campus. 
Hazard Note: On the West side of the fields is a power line

Secondary: The oval area on the North side of campus. 
Hazard Note: On the East side of the oval is a very tall flagpole

First Aid Kits

First aid kits are located in the following areas:

  • Garbee Hall: Cabinet in the security office
  • Andres Building: Housekeeping room 127
  • Alexander Dickman: Registrar’s office
  • Colgrove Walker: Roadrunners lounge
  • Library: Circulation desk
  • Baker Hebron: Chemistry lab
  • Dorman Gym: Training room
  • Parker Fox: Front desk
  • Professional Building: Lounge
  • Rec Center: Front desk and through out the building attached to the wall
  • Edgar Fine Arts: Ceramics studio room 103
  • Facilities & Management Services: Office & grounds

Displaced Students

Sodexho Campus Services will provide cold meal bag lunches; meals may also be prepared on university grills. Bottled water will be brought in for drinking. The University will provide a generator for Sodexho for refrigeration purposes. Porta Potties will be brought in for the waste matters. Students may be housed in Dorman Gym or the Recreation Center as needed.

24-Hour Hotline

The 1-800 phone number will be designated as the emergency 24-hour hotline number that parents may call.

Parental Notification

The Incident Management and Communications Team will notify parents of the situation and the status of their child.


There are several different options that are available to Upper Iowa University in regards to counseling. Upper Iowa University has on staff Laurie Kirkpatrick who is the Director of Counseling Services. Staff members of Student Development will also be available. The following local clergy are available as well: Abundant Life Christian Fellowship 425-3511, First United Methodist Church 425-4126, St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church 425-3184, Grace Lutheran Church 425-3544, Fayette Community Church 425-3551. Also available is the North East Iowa Mental Health Center and Alcohol Related Problem Center 1297 S. Frederick Avenue Oelwein, Iowa 50662 1-563-283-5774 or 1-800-372-6744