UIU ALERT: Friday, May 18 - The Alexandria Center is closed. Students may call the Baton Rouge office if they need assistance at 225-923-2331.
Note: Any and all explosions that occur on campus should be treated as though they were deliberately set and that the explosion did not occur by accident, until it can be determined otherwise.
After an explosion occurs on campus there are several steps that need to be taken:
- Determine direction of explosion and the possibility for other explosions (e.g., additional explosive devises), so you can plan your best evacuation route. NO RADIO OR CELLULAR PHONE COMMUNICATION in the threat area due to the potential they could set off an explosive device.
- Be aware of your surroundings in the damage area after an explosion (e.g., weakened structure, gas lines, and debris).
- The area of the explosion should be treated as an active scene due to the possibility of a secondary device.
- Check yourself and others around you for injuries.
- Check the area around you to determine if it is safe to leave or if it is safer to stay.
- If it is safe to evacuate, do so as quickly and as safely as possible. When safe to do so, stabilize and evacuate wounded.
- If you are trapped in a structure, alert others to your situation any way that you can (e.g., bang on walls or doors, yell).