Tips for Successful Online Learning
- Prepare for your class ahead of time. Complete the Student Orientation Tutorial, review the course syllabus and order your
books prior to the start of class. Also, verify that you are able to login to your
classroom and student email account.
- Participate! Participation is important in an online class. Good participation will not only improve
your grade, it will allow you to learn from your classmates and allow your classmates
to learn from you as well.
- Set aside time to study. You will need to login to your class frequently throughout the week to complete coursework,
respond to discussion postings, etc. Your online coursework can be completed at any
time of day and the average student spends 15-20 hours per week for one course. Remember
that your course may include deadlines and instructions on assignments, but there
will not be anyone telling you to "turn in your assignment."
- Be polite and respectful. At Upper Iowa University, we want to create a positive learning environment for all
of our students. It is important to be polite and respectful in the classroom so that
each student feels valued.
- Ask for help. Remember that you are never alone. Regardless of whether you are having technical
difficulties or academic difficulties, we are here to help you. Good communication
is important for success in an online course.
- Apply what you learn. If possible, make connections between what you are learning to what you do in your
daily work environment. By applying what you learn, you will remember it more readily.
Providing real-world application examples will also help your classmates learn from
- Find a source of motivation. Ultimately, motivation is a big part of what makes a successful online student. Students
often tend to lose interest and motivation about half way through an online college
course. Online students who can keep their eye on the prize, whether it's graduation,
good grades, or supportive learning partners, end up getting to the last day of class
with a good grade and fulfilling educational experience.
- Connect with your classmates. Online learning brings a huge variety of students together through the convenience of the Internet and other technology tools. What makes a successful online student is being open to learning from other people's personal and professional experiences. Developing friendships will also help to keep you active and engaged in your online learning community.