Technology Tools for Teaching
As you develop your course in uiuLearn, there are a number of supporting technologies that expand the scope of instructor and student activities available in your course. Here is a list of the licensed and supported technologies available for enhancing your course: - See more at:
|Smarthinking - Tutoring services available to all online students|
|Panopto - Lecture capture and podcasting software||Resources|
|Respondus - Quiz and Exam management utility||Resources|
|Livetext - Academic assessment and ePortfolio utility|
|Turnitin - Plagiarism prevention and research originality tool integrated with uiuLearn||Resources|
|Zoom - Desktop video conferencing application||Resources|
|McGraw-Hill Connect- Access to publisher texts and materials|
- Smarthinking - Tutoring services available to all online students
- Panopto - Lecture capture and podcasting software
- Respondus - Quiz and Exam management utility
- Livetext - Academic assessment and ePortfolio utility
- Turnitin - Plagiarism prevention and research originality tool integrated with uiuLearn
- Zoom - Desktop video conferencing application
- McGraw-Hill Connect- Access to publisher texts and materials
Smarthinking Tutoring Services
Help when you need it: 24 hours a day! Available to all Upper Iowa University students FREE of charge! Online tutoring: Anywhere, anytime.
With SMARTHINKING, you can:
- Connect With an e-instructor and interact with a live tutor.
- Schedule a Personal Session and pre-schedule a live session with an e-structor of your choice.
- Submit your Writing for any class to our Online Writing Lab.
- Submit a Question and receive a reply from a tutor.
Follow these steps to get started:
- Go to http://services.smarthinking.com/
- Log in with your full UIU peacocks email address and the password: Pcocks@1857
- Change your password in the About Me section of your SMARTHINKING homepage.
- Refer to theStudent Handbook in the Customer Support & FAQ section for information regarding the use of the service.
Panopto Lecture Capture
Panopto is a lecture capture system for streaming audio and video. To best view Panopto videos, you should have the Silverlight browser plug-in. If you encounter a Panopto login screen, then you need to modify your browser settings. Follow these step-by-step instructions to configure your browser for Panopto. A Panopto Recorder Panopto Recorder Quickstart Guide is also available, and more documentation and tutorials are online at support.panopto.com
Respondus is an exam management software application we license for our instructors to import or create exams and then publish them to their uiuLearn course.
This 30-minute training video demonstrates how Respondus can be used to import existing exams from MS Word. It also demonstrates how to use the Respondus Test Bank Network.
Turnitin is a tool for both teachers and students to ensure academic integrity by checking the originality of submitted papers to avoid issues of plagiarism and academic dishonesty. Turnitin compares submitted written work with literally millions of websites, scholarly journals, magazines, books, printable reports, and other student papers and is widely recognized as one of the leading plagiarism prevention and education services. However, users should be aware that Turnitin scans submitted work and compares it to ALL other sources on file. Therefore, it is possible that a student paper may have similarities to other written works that are merely coincidental, and not plagiarism. It is important that instructors and students scan the originality reports generated by Turnitin carefully to determine what areas of concern need to be addressed in each submitted paper.
Upper Iowa licenses Turnitin and provides instructors with simple setup for use within courses. Download the Turnitin Instructor Guide for directions. The Turnitin integration with uiuLearn allows instructors to designate any assignment in uiuLearn as a Turnitin assignment. Instructors and students can then view originality reports for submitted work.
For more information, see:
Zoom Video Conferencing
Zoom provides the first Unified Meeting Experience platform that brings HD video conferencing, mobility and web meetings together as a free cloud service. So you can have crystal-clear video conversation and high quality screen sharing, anytime, from anywhere, with up to 25 people. It is available for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android.
Publisher McGraw-Hill has collaborated with uiuLearn (D2L) to fully integrate their digital books, ancillary learning objects and test banks.
Here are some supporting documents: