2016-2017 Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery schedule
FAYETTE, Iowa (August 10, 2016) – The 2016-2017 Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery schedule, featuring the work of visiting artists, designers, sculptural installation artists, and Upper Iowa University seniors, kicks off Thursday, August 25. Each of the scheduled artists, all of whom have ties to or have been inspired by the Midwest, have also been invited to give a lecture prior to the opening of their respective exhibits on the UIU Fayette Campus. The 2016-2017 Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery schedule concludes in May with the annual Upper Iowa University Senior Thesis Exhibitions.
“I want to expose our students and the public to a broad range of mediums and the different approaches taken by the artists themselves,” said UIU assistant professor of art Laura Colby. “Each of these artists push their subject matter, materials, and concepts in such a way that symbolism and self-reflection play an important role in their work.”
Among the guest exhibitors is alumnus Mark Haltof ’71, who served as an artist-in-residence on Fayette Campus last fall. The Cape Elizabeth, Maine, artist returns to northeast Iowa during the 100th UIU Homecoming celebration in October to exhibit the landscaping paintings he created from his residency project. Upper Iowa will also host the annual Northeast Iowa High School Art Show in April 2017.
The complete 2016-2017 Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery artist schedule is as follows:
- August 25 - September 30: Angela Waseskuk, reception 3:30-5 p.m. Thursday, August 25
- October 4 - November 4: Mark Haltof, Homecoming reception 2:30-4:30 p.m. Friday, October 7
- November 10 - December 16: Josue Pellot, reception 3:30-5 p.m. Thursday, November 10
- January 12 - February 10: Lauren Meranda and Anna Filbert, reception 3:30-5 p.m. Thursday, January 12
- February 16 - March 17: Kenneth Hall, reception 3:30-5 p.m. Thursday, February 16
- March 20 - April 5: BA Senior Thesis Exhibitions, reception TBA
- April 7: Northeast Iowa High School Art Show
- April 17 - May 6: BA Senior Thesis Exhibitions; reception TBA.
Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery is located in Edgar Fine Arts Hall at Upper Iowa University’s Fayette Campus. The gallery is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
About Upper Iowa University Founded in 1857, Upper Iowa University is a private, nonprofit university providing undergraduate and graduate degree programs to about 5,200 students–nationally and internationally–at its Fayette campus, 21 U.S. locations, as well as a location in Hong Kong. Upper Iowa University is a recognized innovator in offering accredited, quality programs through flexible, multiple delivery systems, including online and self-paced degree program. With a focus on developing leaders and lifelong learners, UIU provides dual enrollment programs for high school students as well as continuing education and professional development opportunities for learners of any age. For more information, visit uiu.edu.