UIU ALERT: Thursday, August 16 - The Fort Polk Center as no internet service at this time.
Programs and Activities
The CIE offers many programs and activities to the international students and scholars at UIU. The activities and programs were developed to assist the international students and scholars to life in the U.S. as well as to provide engaging activities for international students and scholars to share their cultures and experiences with each other and the American UIU community.
Listed below are just a few of the activities that CIE offers:
- International Culture Night: Held each spring semester, this culturally rich evening event welcomes the UIU community as well as the surrounding communities to campus. The event seeks to highlight and celebrate the diversity of the UIU international population. Activities include (but are not necessarily limited to) international foods, table displays, interactive activities (such as name writing in Japanese, origami, etc), a fashion show and a talent show.
- Homecoming Parade: International students, staff and faculty represent their countries during the UIU Homecoming Parade each year. Many wear their traditional dress and carry their flag. This opportunity seeks to highlight for the UIU and local community the great diversity present on campus.
- International Education Week: It is an yearly opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education is part of our efforts to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences. Examples of past activities offered during this week at UIU are International Trivia Night, UIU World Cup, and Study Abroad Fairs. Click here for the schedule.
- Driver's License Trips: Offered to students that need to apply for a driver's license. CIE will rent a van to take students to the Department of Motor Vehicles in West Union. Trips will be offered twice a semester.
- Social Security Number Trips: Offered to students that need to apply for an SSN. CIE will rent a van to take students to the Social Security Administration Office in Waterloo. Trips will be offered twice a semester.
New activities are being organized all the time. Check the UIU calendar often for a complete schedule of all events across the Fayette campus.