Transfer Students

You can transfer up to 78 credits from an accredited two-year college or up to 90 credits from a four-year college when you join Upper Iowa as an undergraduate. In general, credits will transfer for all lecture and lab courses completed successfully at school as accredited by the following regional associations:Instant Scholarship

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Some transfer credits may be applied to elective courses at UIU.

Credit for Your Experience

UIU also lets you earn transfer credits for your experience through the Experiential Learning Portfolio. The process helps determine learners' achievements and demonstrated learning outcomes. Learners can earn up to 30 semester credits for prior learning experience. Contact your academic advisor for information on the guidelines and procedures.

Experiential learning credit granted by another institution is accepted only if it is a part of a degree earned and transferred to UIU. Similarly, credit granted by UIU for experiential learning may not transfer to other institutions.

Because the documentation process required of you is extensive, and since the evaluation of this documentation by UIU staff demands considerable time, you must be accepted for admission and registered for at least one course through Upper Iowa University before you may apply for experiential learning credit.

Fees for experiential learning credit granted are assessed at $60 per semester credit.

Transfer Credit Articulation Agreements & Corporate Partnerships

Upper Iowa has partnered with various community colleges to ensure that your credits transfer smoothly to UIU through articulation agreements. Check the list to see if your community college is one of our partners.

We also have a variety of agreements with corporations that offer their employees certain advantages when attending Upper Iowa. All academic advantages apply to all Upper Iowa modes of study; however, tuition grants only apply to programs offered through UIU centers or as distance education.

Credit for Training and Military

You can also earn credit for training you have completed in law enforcement or fire science training as well as for military and other formal training.

Learners may submit documentation of training completion in law enforcement or fire science to Upper Iowa University for evaluation, with a one-time evaluation fee of $200. Consult your academic advisor for further information. A maximum of 30 semester credits can be earned through a combination of portfolio and law enforcement/fire science credits.

Credit for military and other formal training with recommendations by the American College on Education (ACE) guidelines will be transcripted at no charge. Training completed may be verified by an official AARTS, CCAF, or SMART transcript, DD214, DD295, or copies of certificates; a portfolio is not required. Up to 78 lower division semester credits and an additional 12 upper division semester ACE evaluated military credits may be transferred for a maximum of 90 semester credits toward the 120 semester credits required for graduation.

ACE-recommended military credits and other credits for your experience that are accepted by UIU do not reduce the minimum required 30 semester credits of course work through Upper Iowa University for a bachelor's degree. Experiential learning credits do not apply to the 60 graded credits needed to graduate with magna or summa cum laude honors. Experiential learning credit, awarded as upper division credit, may be used to satisfy the upper division credit requirement for graduation. Education course credits may not be earned through experiential learning.

Credit by Examination

Learners may earn credit through CLEP, DSST, Excelsior College and/or ACT-PEP examinations. There is a minimal testing fee. Credit by examination is transcripted without charge when a learner’s score is at the level recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) for credit. These exams are accepted to fulfill requirements in very specific ways. See your advisor before taking any credit-bearing exams to ascertain the appropriate exam for your degree plan.

Financial Assistance & Applying

To be eligible for financial assistance, students need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid as soon as possible after January 1. The UIU FAFSA code is 001893. UIU has merit and need-based scholarships available to transfer students.

Start the process today by submitting your college transcripts and requesting a transcript evaluation.

Contact Information

Transfer students for Fayette campus only, please contact

For more information about transferring to UIU, please call 800-553-4150 or email

Apply >>>