Work Study

The purpose of the Upper Iowa University Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) is to provide employment opportunities for undergraduate students who need to work in order to pay for educational expenses. The student must show financial need, which is determined by the submission of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and by completion of other application requirements. Please find a list of work-study jobs available by visiting the Peacock Career Portal.

1. How do I know if I qualify for Federal Work-study?

Students must file the FAFSA form and answer “yes” to the question that asks if they are interested in Federal Work-Study. The Financial Aid Office determines whether or not a student has “financial need” in order to qualify for the Federal Work-Study program. Students are notified of their eligibility for the program after their file is complete and they have been awarded. The fund will be listed on their award package. Funding is limited and students are awarded Federal Work-Study on a first come first serve basis.

2. Why is the Federal Work-Study not counted toward my tuition balance?

Federal Work-Study funds are paid when a student works the contracted hours. There is no guarantee to Upper Iowa University that you will work all the hours you are eligible for, thus the funds cannot be applied to your student account up front. However, since your paycheck will be made payable to you, you have the option of using those funds to put towards the charges on your student account.

3. Now that I know that I have been awarded Federal Work-Study, what should I next?

Once you have reviewed your Financial Aid award package showing your Federal Work-Study eligibility, you will be given a Federal Work-Study packet with payroll documents and a contract that must be completed, prior to working. Job postings will be made available to eligible students. It is your responsibility to find a Federal Work-Study position.

4. Am I eligible to receive fringe benefits?

Federal Work-Study students are not eligible for paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, or medical and dental insurance. 

5. Where can I work?

You may work in any participating Federal Work-Study department on campus, or students enrolled at the UIU Center locations may work at their Center location or surrounding Communities. There are also several opportunities available for Community Service positions, which are off campus but within the community.

6. Can International students or Non-citizens apply for Federal Work-Study jobs?

No. In order to qualify for the Federal Work-Study program, a student must be a U.S. Citizen, an eligible non-citizen, or a U.S. Permanent Resident with a permanent resident card.

7. How much can I earn?

Students may earn up to the amount listed on their Financial Aid Award. Federal Work-Study payroll is processed to the students Higher One card on the 15th of each month. The rate of pay is minimum wage. It is the student’s and Federal Work-Study supervisor’s responsibility to monitor earnings to ensure the awarded amounts are not exceeded.

8. What will my schedule be?

The work schedule is to be determined by the student and Federal Work-Study supervisor. Students cannot work during class time. Students cannot work more than 8 hours per day, or more than 25 hours per week.

9. Are taxes taken out of my Federal Work-Study paycheck?

Yes. IRS tax guidelines are followed for Federal Work-Study positions. In addition, if you earn enough wages, you will be required to file a Federal Tax Form with the IRS.