Types of Aid: Center/Online Program Undergraduate Students

Center/Online Students: Scholarships

Other Scholarships


  • $500 yearly
  • Alumni Scholarships are available to sons and/or daughters of previous graduates of Upper Iowa University. Students must be enrolled full-time students during the fall and/or spring semester to qualify for this grant. This grant will apply to all children, including adopted or legal stepchildren and will not exclude those children who are independent of the family due to marriage or age.

Honors and Awards

  • UIU private donor scholarships
  • Current students may apply every year
  • Application is available in the fall for the following year (application runs October - December)
  • Fill out one application for all scholarships
  • Available to all current students

Outside Scholarships

Center/Online Students: Loans

Student Loan Programs

What aid am I eligible for by completing the FAFSA? You may be eligible for federal or state grants (free aid), as well as federal loans (you MUST pay back).

Federal Direct Student Loans 

What is a Federal Direct Student Loan? A form of federal aid for eligible students to assist with educational expenses. Students who borrow federal loan funds are responsible for paying them back.

How do I apply for Federal Student Loans? The first step is filing your FAFSA, and then you must submit all required paperwork to the Financial Aid Office in order to determine your loan eligibility.

What is Borrower Entrance Counseling? Required federal counseling for students to learn about the requirements of the federal loan program. Counseling is completed at studentloans.gov

What is a Master Promissory Note (MPN) Arequired federal “promise to pay” document. The MPN is completed at studentloans.gov

What is Borrower Exit Counseling? Required federal counseling for students who have graduated, withdrawn from the university, or have dropped below a half-time enrollment status. Exit counseling provides important information about the repayment of your Federal Student Loan(s). Counseling is completed at studentloans.gov

What is a Federal Subsidized Loan? A financial need-based Federal Loan in which the Department of Education pays the interest until the student either graduates or drops below a half-time enrollment status.

What is a Federal Unsubsidized Loan? A non-need based Federal Loan in which the student is responsible for paying any accruing interest. Interest rates begin accruing at the time of disbursement.

What is a Federal PLUS Loan? A loan option for parents to assist their undergraduate dependent students with educational expenses.  Parents can be apply for PLUS loans at studentloans.gov

Responsible Borrowing
If you decide to borrow federal loan funds, make sure that you understand who your lender is and what the terms and conditions of the loan are. Student loans can come from the federal government or from private lending sources such as a bank or financial institution. Federal loans offer student borrowers lower interest rates and more flexibility with repayment options than what a private lending institution will. Learn more about the differences between federal and private student loans

To find out more about the Federal Student loan program, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans

Alternative Loans: Loan option offered through private banks and lenders. Generally only accepted if all other financial aid options have been exhausted.

  • Credit-based loan options offered by private banks and lenders. These loans are only processed after all federal, state, and institutional eligibility has been exhausted.
  • Exceptions will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
  • Information regarding these types of loan programs for both student and parent borrowers, as well as a comparison tool for the most frequently used credit-based lenders by UIU students, can be found at FastChoice. Upper Iowa University does not endorse any credit-based loan programs. Borrowers may choose to pursue a credit-based loan with any lender that they wish, this is only a starting point and only provides a reference point for researching these types of loan programs.
  • Students who wish to borrow in a credit-based loan program must also complete the Game Plan, an online credit counseling program before the loan can be certified by the Financial Aid Office.

Center/Online Students: Grants

Grants are "gift aid" and do not have to be repaid. Eligibility for grants is determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), as calculated on the FAFSA. Review the information below to learn more about the various federal, state, and institutional grants available to UIU students.

Iowa Tuition Grant

A state grant available to eligible Iowa residents pursuing a college degree at a private institution.  This grant is awarded to students from low and middle income families who show financial need and are degree seeking.  The Iowa Tuition grant award amount is based on the amount of credit hours per semester a student is enrolled in.  The annual amount is determined by the Iowa Legislature and can be increased or decreased depending on availability of funds. 

Pell Grant

The federal government determines eligibility and award amounts for this grant. Pell Grants are considered to be “gift aid” and do not have to be repaid.  The Pell grant is disbursed by the semester for Fayette campus students, by the session for center and online students and at the completion of the first set of classes for self-paced degree plan students. Federal Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a Bachelor's degree. The maximum lifetime eligibility is 600 percent. This would be approximately 12 semesters or 6 years.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

A federal grant made available to UIU students on a first come-first serve basis. Funds are awarded to eligible students until the yearly allocation is spent.  Students must have a 0 EFC, as determined by the FAFSA, and must be Pell grant eligible, in order to receive this award.

Federal TEACH Grant

A federal grant available for eligible students pursuing an undergraduate degree in education, or graduate degree in the Masters of Education program. Eligible students must maintain a cumulative 3.25 GPA to receive and maintain eligibility.  Students may receive up to a lifetime maximum of $16,000 for undergraduate study and up to $8000 for graduate study. Part-time students are eligible, but the maximum grant will be pro-rated based on enrollment status.   If students do not fulfill the stated teaching requirements, the grant will be converted to an unsubsidized loan. Eligible students must agree to teach in designated shortage fields.  Students who receive the Federal Teach Grant will complete the Teach Grant Counseling, sign the Teach Grant Agreement to Serve and complete the UIU Teach Grant Application and Entrance Counseling.  Students who are recipients of this grant should complete the Federal Teach Grant Exit Counseling upon graduation, ceasing enrollment, or changing their major to a non-education field.