Student Employment

Working on campus provides students with valuable and transferable skills that both complement their coursework and equip them for the post-college job market. Upper Iowa offers jobs for students who receive Federal Work-Study as part of their financial assistance package, as well as offering UIU Student Employment positions for all eligible students. Students applying for jobs should exhibit professionalism and a strong work ethic throughout the hiring process, as well as on the job. 

Federal Work Study (FWS)

This is a need-based, federally subsidized award for part-time employment, which is administered by the College. Earnings are paid directly to the students monthly. The students' weekly hours and wages are determined by the College and are limited by eligibility and fund availability. Students are only compensated for hours they actually work. The maximum amount of hours students may work a week is 25 when classes are in session, and 40 when classes are not in session.

Student Forms


IRS form W-4 is the Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate. This certificate determines how much tax is withheld from an employee’s paycheck each pay period. Please note: the number of allowances claimed on the W-4 is not necessarily the number that will be claimed on your federal tax returns. The “exempt” status is only allowed for one year. Students who claim “exempt” are required to complete a new W-4 at the beginning of the new calendar year. International students cannot claim “exempt” status on the W-4 form.

The Student Financial Services Office cannot provide students with advice regarding their tax exemptions. Students should fully read and understand the form before filling it out. If you feel you need further advice regarding tax status, we encourage you to consult with a certified public accountant or tax specialist.


The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services form I-9 is the Employment Eligibility Verification form. This form verifies that you are legally eligible to work in the United States. To determine eligibility to work, students must provide acceptable documentation. Documents presented to complete the I-9 form must be originals. Faxes and photocopies cannot be accepted. Laminated Social Security cards cannot be accepted, as they are invalid. If a document submitted as identification requires a signature and is not signed, it will be considered invalid, and the student must provide an alternate form of identification. Students may not use any form of expired identification to establish identity and eligibility. This form must be filled out by the student, in person, at the Office of Financial Aid.

A list of acceptable documentation can be found here.