Verification Process

What is Verification? Verification is a process used to confirm that the information you provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is accurate. Students are selected at random for this process by the U.S. Department of Education.

Where do I find the Verification Forms? The Verification documents you will need can be found on your Net Partner.

How can I avoid delays in verification processing? Submit all requested documents in a timely manner. Make sure all appropriate parties have signed the documents.

Will I still get my financial aid if I have been selected for verification? Yes, but not until your financial aid file is complete and all documents have been submitted and processed.

What is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)? The data retrieval tool allows for your tax information to be imported into the FAFSA. By utilizing this tool, you may be able to expedite the completion of your file.

What is the difference between a Federal Tax Return Transcript and a Federal Tax Return?

    • A Federal Tax Return is the 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ, which may include schedules and additional supporting forms you or your tax preparer filed with the IRS.
    • A Federal Tax Return Transcript is an itemization of your tax return as it was originally filed with the IRS. The tax return transcript can only be obtained directly from the IRS and is used to verify the information submitted on your FAFSA.
    • Only the Federal Tax Return Transcript will be accepted for the verification process. This is a requirement by the U.S. Department of Education. Federal Tax Returns do not meet this requirement.

How do I get a copy of my tax return transcript? A tax return transcript is located on the IRS website.

What if I file an amended tax return? If you have filed or will file an amended tax return, you will need to provide UIU with a physical signed copy of both the original tax return as well as the amended return (IRS Form 1040X) filed with the IRS.

What if I didn’t file a Federal Tax Return? Even if you were not required to file taxes, you may have earned income and a W-2 may be requested. Or, you may be required to provide the 4506-T Verification of Non-filing tax status.