Why UIU is a Great Choice for Military Service Members and Veterans
Upper Iowa University is committed to helping military service members, veterans and their families earn a quality, affordable college education. We provide special services, accommodations and financial incentives to students with military ties. We are also proud to participate in the VA’s Principles of Excellence and Yellow Ribbon programs.
We are consistently named a top military-friendly university by organizations such as Military Advanced Education, VIQTORY and Military Times. We have also earned recognition for offering the Best Online Bachelor’s programs for veterans by US News and World Report.
Learn more about why UIU could be a great option for you as a military service member or veteran.
UIU Military and Veterans Service Center
The Military and Veterans Service Center (MVSC) at Upper Iowa University is here to help you apply for admission, enroll in courses and apply for financial aid. We will advocate for you and coordinate with various university services to ensure you have a positive experience at UIU. The MVSC provides the following services:
- Academic advising
- Disability accommodations
- Veteran programming
- Benefits information
- Financial aid
- Referral to state and federal resources and services
Benefits of Attending UIU as an Active Military Member or Veteran
- 10 percent tuition grant: This grant is available to all military personnel (including active, guard, reserve and veteran) and their eligible family members who hold Department of Defense ID cards.
- Credit for military service: We follow the ACE Military Guide for awarding transfer credit based on formal courses and occupations you’ve completed in any branch of the military.
- Credit transfers: UIU recognizes and rewards past educational efforts. We accept up to 45 lower-division credits for associate of art degrees and up to 90 semester credits for Bachelor of Science degrees. Credits transfer from accredited colleges and universities, military training, and experiential learning.
- Personal UIU advisors: Military-based academic advisors are available to consult with our military students. They will help you develop a personal coursework schedule to advance you toward your goals at a pace that works with your busy, often-changing lifestyle.
- Deployment and readmission policy: If you are called to active duty during your time at UIU we work with you to protect your education and allow you to resume where you left off when you return.
The Flexibility of Earning an Education at UIU
Today’s service members need flexibility to earn a degree while serving our country. UIU is accessible no matter where you are. Whether you’re at home, at a military installation, in the field or out at sea, you can learn when and where it’s convenient for you, thanks to our three academic extension programs:
When you’re not on base, our nationally recognized online programs are probably the best option for you. These programs bring the classroom to you via the internet so you can learn at home. Six eight-week terms are offered throughout the year, so you can start pursuing your degree of choice at any time.
Self-Paced Degree Programs
If you don’t have reliable access to a computer and internet connection, such as while you’re deployed, our self-paced degree programs give you up to six months to complete a six-week course. Both paper- and web-based formats are available with over 100 classes to choose from. You and your instructors will determine whether to communicate and complete assignments via mail, email or a web-based classroom.
Military Learning Centers
UIU has a growing number of military education centers across the U.S. These centers offer a traditional classroom setting to learn in while you’re on base. Our current locations include:
In addition, a UIU course location is located at Fort Hood, TX.
If your duties take you into the civilian community, be aware that Upper Iowa University also has additional education centers in Arizona, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana and Wisconsin.
UIU admits long-distance military students from across the country and around the world. The easiest way to establish your military ties is to submit a military transcript. We will evaluate your documentation based on the ACE Military Guide. For more information about ordering your military transcript online, please visit the Military Admission Requirements page.
Veterans, service members and military families may qualify for VA education benefits to lower the cost of tuition. Once you apply for benefits, processing takes eight to 10 weeks, so please plan ahead. Learn more about the education programs and benefits available to military veterans by visiting the US Department of Veterans Affairs website.
Some majors and academic programs are only available online or on campus, so be sure to explore your options before applying. Some of our most popular degrees for military students include:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Education (M.ED)
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Master of Sport Administration (MSA)
- Business Administration
- Communication Studies (Emphasis Areas Available)
- Criminal Justice
- Emergency & Disaster Management
- Financial Management
- Graphic Design
- Health Services
- Human Resources Management
- Human Services
- Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Liberal Arts
- Nursing – RN to BSN (at select locations)
- Public Administration (Emphasis areas available)
- Social Science
- Teacher Education (at select locations)
- Criminal Justice
- General Business
- Liberal Arts
Various certificates at the undergraduate and graduate level are also offered.
Apply as a Military or Veteran Student at Upper Iowa University
UIU is proud to be one of the most military- and veteran-friendly universities in the country. Our vision is to become the institution of choice for all military personnel, veterans and their families. We’ll help you succeed, starting with active service and academic learning through graduation and employment.