Student Philanthropy Council
Frequently Asked Questions
By definition, crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising many small amounts of money from a large number of people.
All current students located at Fayette Campus are welcome to submit crowdfunding project. Students must be officially affiliated with an academic unit or part of an official student group that is recognized by SGA and raising money for UIU programs and initiatives. Funds cannot be directed to the a third party non-profit organization. Project examples: 3D printer for computer science, mural organized by the Art Club, etc. If you are unsure whether your project would fit with this platform, please email the Director of Annual Giving, Naomi Aziz at [email protected] or call 563.425.5966.
Complete a crowdfunding project request form.
Here are recommendations for a successful crowdfunding campaign:
- Measurable: A clear, realistic, and achievable fundraising goal that should be reached in several weeks.
- Relevant and meaningful: Must be affiliated with UIU. The project must be beneficial to the UIU community and impact the students’ overall UIU experience positively.
- Attainable: Recommended fundraising goal of $1,000 – $5,000.
- Timeline: Campaigns generally last 30-45 days. Some may be longer or shorter based on the fundraising goal and success of the campaign.
- Project manager and collaborators: The project leader and collaborators are crucial to the success of the project. Recommended collaborators of 5 – 10 students. Their ability to reach out to an energized list of networks will ultimately determine campaign success.
Director of Annual Giving Naomi Aziz will contact you to set up an in-person or Zoom meeting. Your project request will then be reviewed by SPC leaders and you will be notified if your campaign is selected.
You will be provided with fundraising recommendations from SPC leaders, the Alumni Office and the Alumni Association Board Members. These entities will collaborate and guide through the best fundraising practices, and assist with executing a successful crowdfunding campaign. We will help setup your crowdfunding campaign page created for your project, develop a plan and launch your fundraiser.