The Upper Iowa University Registrar's office is dedicated to helping students, faculty, and staff with all their academic needs. Through registration and degree audits, evaluation of courses in transfer, and questions or inquiries in reference to curriculum, the office maintains a secure, confidential environment for the academic records of all students. The office can also assist you with certification of enrollment or verification of academic requirements for insurance purposes.

Contact the registrar at or 563-425-5200.

Academic Calendar

The Fayette Campus academic calendar includes important dates throughout the year, such as the start of classes and holiday breaks. Term dates for other locations and programs are published in the University Catalog.

Academic Catalogs

The current University Catalog contains complete course descriptions as well as the current requirements for completing each degree in each major. Please consult your academic advisor if you have questions.

Commencement Ceremonies and Graduation

A commencement ceremony is held in May each year on the Fayette campus. Visit our commencement page for more information. Students attending UIU at military or international locations should contact their location for information on additional local ceremonies. If you wish to attend a UIU commencement ceremony, complete the Request to Participate in Graduation/Commencement Ceremony form on myUIU.

As a candidate for graduation, regardless of whether you plan to participate in a ceremony, you must file an application for graduation and submit the $70 application fee. Application deadlines are published in the University Catalog.

If you are unable to attend commencement or would like to purchase additional items to commemorate your graduation, UIU offers commencement packages.  Visit our Marketplace under the Graduate section for more information about the options. 

All prospective graduates with myUIU access should complete the electronic Graduation Application/Survey available in myUIU under Student Forms.

For those who are unable to access myUIU, a paper version of the application is available.

Student Forms

Most forms for current, returning, and former students are available on myUIU including:

  • Course Withdrawal Form
  • Change of Major Form
  • Certificate Claim Form
  • Request for Duplicate Diploma
  • Personal Information Update for Returning Students

If you need assistance or are unable to access a form, contact your UIU location or the Registrar’s Office.


Request a transcript.

Transfer of Credits

Transfer students may expect to receive full credit for college-level courses and/or programs completed at institutions of higher education that are regionally accredited or accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education Office of Post-secondary Education (USDE-OPE) or by the Council for Higher Educational Accreditation (CHEA).

Upper Iowa University will also consider acceptance of course work in transfer from:

International institutions that are approved/registered by their country’s Ministry of Education or other national educational governing body as reviewed and approved by Upper Iowa University.

International institutions where transcripts for individual students are reviewed and evaluated by an approved foreign credential evaluators service and approved by Upper Iowa University.

Course work completed at institutions that fail to meet any of the aforementioned criteria will not be accepted in transfer to Upper Iowa University.

Course work completed with formal Upper Iowa University Ar¬ticulation Partnership Advantage institutions will be transferred following articulation guidelines. Course work from other ac¬credited institutions will be transferred to meet particular degree requirements based on full-time faculty recommendations.

Grades earned in courses accepted for transfer will appear on the student's Upper Iowa University transcript, and the credits earned will count toward the total number required for gradua¬tion. However, grade points earned at another institution are not transferred and are not figured into the cumulative grade point average (GPA) maintained at Upper Iowa University, but are included in calculating the major/endorsement GPA.

Upper Iowa University may transfer up to 78 lower division college semester credits from accredited institutions. These 78 semester credits may include:

    1. No more than nine semester credits from Exercise and Sport Studies (EXSS) activity courses, including transcript¬ed intercollegiate athletics.
    2. No credits from courses identified by Upper Iowa Univer¬sity as remedial or developmental level (except for articu¬lated intensive English credits from partner institutions).
    3. No more than 30 semester credits from one year occupa¬tional diploma programs.

Upper Iowa University may transfer an additional 12 semester credits, identified by the transfer institution as upper division credit, to a transfer maximum of 90 semester credits. Up to 78 lower division semester credits and 12 upper division semester credits evaluated by the American Council on Educa¬tion (ACE) and semester credits earned through CLEP, DSST, Excelsior College and ACT-PEP examinations will transfer to Upper Iowa University. Transfer grades lower than a C- will not be accepted.

Upper Iowa University will accept AA or AS degrees with a liberal arts core as fulfillment of the general education require¬ments for a baccalaureate program. Upper Iowa University will also accept associate degrees with a major in nursing from registered nurses (must have current license) as fulfillment of its general education requirements for the BSN program. Prerequisites are not waived.

Students may earn credit through CLEP/DSST/Excelsior College and/or ACT-PEP examinations. Credit will be posted to the UIU transcript when the student’s score is at the level recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) for credit. Credit for military courses, training and occupational specialties/ratings with ACE college credit recommendation guidelines will also be posted on the UIU transcript.

An experiential learning portfolio process has been developed to determine students’ achievements and demonstrated learning outcomes. Students must be accepted to UIU and must have completed a course before using the portfolio process.

Verification of Enrollment/Degree and Loan Deferment Forms

Registered students may obtain an enrollment verification letter by contacting the Registrar’s Office.

If your student loan servicer has requested that you submit a loan deferment form, complete the student sections and submit the form to the Registrar’s office by scanning and emailing to or faxing to 563-425-5287. You may also bring the form to your local UIU location. Forms will be certified and sent to your loan servicer (be sure to provide the name of the organization if it is not listed on the form) after we confirm attendance in your courses.

Employers and other third parties wishing to verify a degree for a graduate of Upper Iowa University should do so through the National Student Clearinghouse. Upper Iowa University also holds the records for Lea College, formerly in Albert Lea, MN. Individuals needing to obtain Lea College records should contact the UIU Registrar’s Office directly.