UIU ALERT: UIU-Fort Leavenworth administrative office is closed Tuesday, June 25. Please call Fort Riley office.
HYBRID OR ONLINE: Which is right for you?
To determine if HYBRID or ONLINE learning is right for you:
- Review the course definitions
- Complete the checklist below
What are the differences between HYBRID and ONLINE courses?
HYBRID courses blend the consistency of the traditional classroom with the flexibility of the online environment. Students and instructors meet for a traditional three hour "class" in weeks 1, 3, 6, and 8. The rest of the time, class is conducted in an online threaded discussion where students communicate asynchronously. It is the best of both worlds!
ONLINE courses are delivered entirely over the Internet although some courses may have special attendance requirements. Online courses are NOT SELF-PACED; there are deadlines for assignments just as in other course formats.
Online courses provide:
- Flexibility and convenience for student participation
- Deadlines for course work and assignments
- Travel time and cost savings
- Time to reflect before responding to discussions and other class activities
Online courses are a good fit for learners who are:
- Able to manage their time effectively
- Technologically savvy
- Able to work through barriers independently
Are you ready for HYBRID or ONLINE learning Checklist
- Are you self-disciplined and highly motivated?
- Are you willing to work on your own without immediate feedback?
- Do you have effective time management skills?
- Do you enjoy reading, writing , and communicating online?
If you checked all of the above, online courses may be a good fit for you. If not,
you may struggle with online courses and hybrid classes might be a better fit. Continue...
- Can you commit to being online at least 3 times per week?
- Do you have reliable Internet access?
- Can you commit 17-20 hours of time per week, per 3 credit class?
Did you check all of the above? All conditions apply each week for ONLINE courses and for non-class weeks (weeks 2, 4, 5, 7) in HYBRID learning. Continue...
- Do you enjoy having face-to-face interaction with your instructor and classmates periodically as well as online flexibility?
If you checked the box above, you may be a candidate for HYBRID learning. If you are comfortable without any face-to-face interaction then you may be a candidate for ONLINE learning.
Talk to your RN-BSN Program Admissions Advisor, Chris Frana. The checklist is great to get you started but there is much more to discuss before you make your decision!
RN-BSN Program Admissions Advisor
Phone: (563) 425-5318
Fax: (563) 425-5865