Upper Iowa has been in the "business" of educating accounting students almost since UIU's beginning in 1857. A solid background of general business skills and knowledge is necessary for success in an accounting career. You will gain that background through the completion of the required Business Core courses in business law, economics, ethics, management, management information systems, marketing, and statistics.
CAREERS IN ACCOUNTING
As an Accounting major, you are offered excellent academic preparation for employment as an accountant in: public accounting firms, private industry, or not-for-profit organizations such as governments, schools, or hospitals. You may also choose to continue your accounting education with graduate work and/or pursue certification as a CPA, CMA, or CIA with an advanced accounting degree.
Also, be sure to join UIU's Accounting Club as it offers you a variety of "real world" experiences and networking opportunities.
LOCATIONS: Main residential campus in Fayette, Iowa, UIU Educational Centers, Online, and Self-Paced Degree Program.
MAJOR IN ACCOUNTING
(3) BA 160 Microeconomic Principles
(3) BA 161 Macroeconomic Principles
(3) BA 201 Accounting Principles I
(3) BA 202 Accounting Principles II
(3) BA 208 Marketing Principles
(3) BA 210 Management Principles
(3) BA 222 Management Information Systems
(3) BA 302 Business Law I
(3) BA 341 Corporate Financial Management
(3) MATH 220 Elementary Statistics
(3) PHIL 202 Contemporary Ethics OR BA 225 Business Ethics
(3) BA 356 Quantitative Decisions in Business
Total: 36 credits
Area of Emphasis:
(3) BA 321 Intermediate Financial Accounting I
(3) BA 322 Intermediate Financial Accounting II
(3) BA 323 Federal Taxation I
(3) BA 421 Managerial Cost Accounting OR BA 422 Product Cost Accounting
(3) BA 425 Auditing
(3) BA 431 Advanced Financial Accounting OR BA 432 Accounting for Not-For-Profit Organizations
One of the following: (3)
BA 317 International Management
BA 463 International Finance
BA 488 Economics of International Business
Total: 21 credits