Leadership comes in many shapes and sizes. Which is why there are dozens of opportunities
for students to explore and develop their leadership potential at Upper Iowa University.
Whether it’s taking courses, leading a group of students, participating in our Leadership
Series or simply learning to live a life of character and integrity, the opportunities
for students to learn and lead are there for the taking!! Check out the various leadership
opportunities and programs below and come back here often for up-to-date news and
events about developing your leadership potential!!
Student Leadership Positions
- Summer Resident Assistants (4)- Involves students spending their summer working with
the Office of Student Development to help prepare for the upcoming academic year
- Resident Assistant (15)- Act as a floor programmer, administrator, and a positive
role model for the students on their floor. Including one senior supervisor.
- Student Development Committee (2) – Two students nominated by staff to serve on the
- Judicial Board (3)-Students help determine punishments for students who violate residence
- Student Ambassadors (37) - Student must be at least a sophomore in a good standing
with the university. The applicant's GPA must be at least a 2.5. Strong oral communication
skills are necessary. Those interested must apply and interview for the position.
Ambassadors show prospective students what UIU has to offer.
- Student Calling Team (18) – Students contact high school students who are potentially
interested in attending UIU
- Student Assistants (7)- Students assisting admission counselors
- Student Panel on Visit Days (6)- Share experiences with visiting students
- Student Orientation Assistants (15) - Current Upper Iowa students assist in the orientation
process. Application process begins in April.
- Student Sessions (5)- Present to incoming students about the university and their
- Library Committee (3) - Need students with an interest in improving the library who
can also represent the diversity of the school
- Food Committee (4) - Student with a meal plan to assist Dining Services in planning
food and other related topics
- Catering Intern (1)- Internship involved in Campus Dining Catering
- Peacock Alumni for Student Traditions (5) - This student led group has a President,
a Vice President, a Secretary, a Public Relations, and a Student Government officer.
PAST promotes UIU alumni events and issues around campus including homecoming. The
president and vice president are responsible for leading this group.
- Phone-a-thon (10)- Students call alumni to raise money for scholarships. Two phone-a-thons
per year. Paid position.
- Alumni & Advancement Internships (8)-
- Marketing & Fundraising (1)- Student business major who is in charge of implementing
and strategizing fundraising for the Alumni office
- Communications (1)- Student communications major who is in charge of creating the
newsletter that is sent to alumni, faculty, and staff
- Graphic Design (2)- Student graphic design majors who design the "tradition" book
- Research & Events (1)- Student who helps research facts about UIU and UIU alumni,
and coordinates homecoming activities
- Video Production (2)- Student communication majors who are experienced in video production
prior. Develop videos involving other students about UIU and campus life.
- Video Marketing (1)- Marketing major who recruits students to be in Alumni & Advancement
videos. Markets videos to alumni, faculty, staff, and students.
- Peacock Philanthropy (5)
- International Ambassadors (10)- Serve as a mentor and tutor to Intensive English Program
- International House Assistant (1)- Student who volunteers at the International House
- International Student Association (ISA) Officers (5) – Students lead organization
that represents different nations and cultures on campus
- Vice President
- Event Planner
- Campus Security Committee (2)- Student attends monthly meetings to improve and promote
safety on the Upper Iowa campus
- Parking Appeals Committee (1) – Students meet with campus security to review appeals
and make decisions on parking violations
- Math Tutors (6)- Assist students with homework and studying in the tutor center (work
- Writing Tutors (11)- Assist students with writing and proofreading papers(work study)
- Business Tutors (3)- Assist others in studying business
- Science Tutors (2)- Assist students with homework and studying in science
- Peer Assisted Learning Leaders - Students retake classes that they succeeded in to
help other students. Generally for difficult classes. PAL Leaders hold study sessions
for tests. Number varies each term.
- Peacock Entertainment Crew Officers (3) - Members conduct activities available to
other students. Students serve both as work study, and PEC.
- Greek Programs (40) - Officers (elected by organization) are responsible for programming
and spending for their particular organization
- Greek Council (13)- Determine policy for Greek life on campus
- Clubs and Organizations (75) - Officers (elected by organization) are responsible
for programming and spending for their particular organization
- Student Drivers (6) - Drive students to various events using a university vehicle
- Wellness & Leadership (3)- Students assist the Graduate Assistant of Wellness & Leadership
- Student Activities (7)- Students assist the student activities director (work study)
- Student Government (5) - Representatives of the student body make decisions to improve
- Vice President
- Academic Extension Officer
- Student Government Club Representatives (64)- Students represent their own club at
student government meetings
Office of the President
- Student Assistant to the President (1) - Work study student assists President and
staff with various tasks
- Strategic Plan Committees (3) - Student representatives serve on committees devoted
to each strategic plan the university has developed
- Board of Trustee (1)- Student body president representing the students on the board
- President Office Work Study (1)- Student in charge of helping with anything in the
- Commuter Assistants (1)- Liaison between commuters and Louise Scott. Assistants must
be a commuter student
Honors and Awards
- Honors and Awards Committee (2)- Two seniors serve on the Honors and Awards Committee
- Wellness Strategies Assistant (22) - Attend Wellness Strategies classes to help freshman
make the transition to college life
- Teacher Education Committee (3) - Education major represents students in assisting
faculty in deciding criteria and curriculum for classes
- Assistant Director of Student Health (2) - Work study student assists OSD staff in
promoting wellness related issues and events
- Substance Use Education Prevention (30+)- Committee of students involved in spreading
awareness of substance use and abuse
- Substance Use Education Prevention Subcommittee- (3)- Subcommittee of three students
who are in charge of leading the substance use education prevention committee
- Alternative Spring Break (20)- Involves students spending their spring break helping
those in need in various locations each year
- Peacocks for Progress (7)- Involved students volunteer their time throughout the year
serving UIU, Fayette, and surrounding areas in various projects. Officers include
President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Outreach, and Student Government
Representative. Peacocks for Progress.
- Fayette Appreciation Day Committee (30)- Students involved in organizing and executing
Fayette Appreciation Day in the spring
- Civic Engagement Student Manager (1)- Student in charge of helping organize community
service and outreach projects (work study)
- Assistant to the Director of Leadership & Adventure (1)- Student coordinates and promotes
events through the office of leadership and adventure (work study)
- Leadership Series Coordinator (1)- Student coordinates leadership series events
- Outdoor Pursuits Work Study (6) - Work study students assist UIU students in distributing
outdoor equipment and leading various outdoor activities. Including one work study
who manages Outdoor Pursuits.
- Intramurals (9) - Students in intramurals work study are responsible for conducting
and officiating intramural events throughout the year, including Tournament Tuesday.
Including one lead Intramurals work study.
- Team Captains (13) - Each sport has student leaders to guide and represent the team
- Rec Center Supervisor (7)- Students in charge of managing Rec Center (Work Study)
- Student Athletic Advisory Committee (30)- Students involved in organizing any projects
or service events through the athletic programs. Discusses how to handle any conflicts
involving athletic programs or events
Office of Student Development
- OSD Award Winners - Refer to OSD Award Winners listed on Daryl's pamphlet
- Student Leadership Work Study (1) - Assists Daryl with tasks regarding student leadership.
- Student Development Committee (3)- Students in charge of making suggestions involving
the student body and student development
- Assistant to the Dean of Students (1)- Student who helps the Dean of Students with
projects related to the Office of Student Development
- Assistant to the Administrative Assistant (1)- Assist in computer work and scheduling
in the office of student development
- Pavo Blue (9)- Students who meet, greet, and serve the public through Pavo Blue. Students
have to be great communicators (work study)
- Pavo Blue Managers (2)- Students in charge of managing the staff of Pavo Blue (work
- U-Car Share liaison (1)- Student in charge of connecting the school and U- Car Share
- Activity Coordinator (1)- Coordinative the usage of facilities and events
- Receptionist (1)- Student who works the main desk in facilities office
- Graphic Designer (1)- Student who is able to design publications for the use of communication
- Print Shop Work Study (1)- Student who helps manage print shop
- Book Worker (1)- Assist with billing and general bookwork in the university print
- Academic Success Intern (1) – Internship working with the Director of Academic Success
- Counseling Intern (8) - Two students per term. Students help the director of counseling