POLICY: UIU SOCIAL MEDIA POLICY
Policy Creation/Modification Number: UIU-CMO-12-0004
Initiating Unit: E-Communications
Date of Policy Development: 02-20-12
Date of Policy Implementation/Effectiveness: 03/19/2012
Internal or External: Internal
Replacing policy/process found where: N/A
Upper Iowa University maintains social media platforms as key elements of the official UIU website. The social media sites can be accessed from the UIU website at www.uiu.edu The sites are designed to encourage participation from current and prospective students, alumni, faculty, staff and individuals outside of the university. Each social media platform has its own terms of service and compliance statements that every user needs to abide by.
Standard Operating Procedure Attached: NO
The following policy addresses how OCM administrators monitor and respond to Upper Iowa University's official sites.
1. OCM administrators monitor Upper Iowa University’s official social media sites but are not responsible for content posted on third-party sites outside of the University’s official pages.
2. OCM administrators do not automatically remove any postings unless it states profanity, vulgarity, racism, sexism, or other offensive content. To encourage use of these important communication activities, it is not OCM policy to proof or rewrite content posted by non-UIU administrators for correct spelling and grammar.
3. When a comment is posted to one of UIU’s social media sites, administrators are expected to respond to the comment within 24 hours. A referral to the correct UIU contact person/department or a factual statement is a common response.
4. If a user posts a comment or question that asks for a reply from someone other than faculty/staff at the university, the administrators have the right to leave it unanswered. However, it is always encouraged to provide a general response.
5. If asked, OCM will work with the appropriate UIU contact person/department to develop the response and post it.
Download Complete Guideline Agreement
BACK TO POLICY PAGE