Fayette area children had an opportunity to join in celebrating the inauguration of the new president at Upper Iowa University. They participated in a peacock-coloring competition Wednesday night during the Inauguration Community Reception at the Fayette Opera House. At left, President Bill Duffy and First Lady Sharon Duffy congratulate the children. At right is some of the completed artwork.
FAYETTE, Iowa (October 10, 2013) – The tables were a jumble of crayons, markers, jewels, glitter and glue Wednesday night at the Fayette Opera House; but the results were colorful, sparkling peacocks – the emblem of Upper Iowa University, which is inaugurating its new president this week. The coloring "contest" was held during the UIU Inauguration Community Reception.
Every entry was a winner, and the young artists were invited to march with the UIU "Pete the Peacock" mascot and the Team Peacock RAGBRAI riders in Saturday’s Homecoming parade.
Entries were judged by members of the UIU Art Club. Participants and their awards are:
- Brody Grove- Best Pollock
- Gavyn Grove- Best Use of 3 Dimensional
- Makenna Grove- Best Complimentary Colors
- Kael Frana- Most Colorful
- Taylor Frana- Best Lines
- Addie Montalto, Best Use of Bold Colors
- Piper Siblik- Most Gradient
- Maret Siblik- Best Pop Art
- Addie Thompson- Most Energy
- Hayden Thompson- Happiest Peacock
- Kaylin Kent-Thomas- Most Realistic Peacock
- Gracie Kent-Thomas- Best Use of Jewels
- Hunter Kent-Thomas- Most Focused Artist
- Annika Kent-Thomas- Prettiest Jewels
- Callie Trainor- Best Contrast
- Hillary Trainor- Best Pattern
About Upper Iowa University Founded in 1857, Upper Iowa University is a private, not-for-profit university providing undergraduate and graduate degree programs and leadership development opportunities to some 6,200 students—nationally and internationally—at its Fayette campus and learning centers worldwide. Upper Iowa University is a recognized innovator in offering accredited, quality programs through flexible, multiple delivery systems, including online and self-paced degree program. For more information, visit www.uiu.edu.
Monica Bayer Heaton
Associate Vice President for Communication and Marketing