FAYETTE, Iowa (October 5, 2012) - Upper Iowa University has announced that the Board of Trustees has granted Dr. Alan G. Walker, President, a sabbatical for this academic year. Dr. Walker, the 20th President of Upper Iowa, stated that "My eight and a half years at Upper Iowa University have been the most rewarding and satisfying of my career."
Robert Firth, Chair of the University's Board of Trustees, noted that Dr. Walker has led the University in achieving many accomplishments, including:
- Increased enrollment on the Fayette campus by 48%
- Added eleven new majors and opened up five new centers
- Completed over $70 million in capital improvements.
- Inaugurated the Andres School of Education
- Initiated a comprehensive capital campaign
- Doubled the annual operating budget and finished eight consecutive years with positive year-end balances
Mr. Firth said, "The Board is aware of the schedule and pace Dr. Walker has kept; this sabbatical is well-deserved."
Dr. Walker will be on sabbatical through June 30, 2013, during which he plans to spend time reading, conducting research, and spending time with friends and family.
About Upper Iowa University
Founded in 1857, Upper Iowa University is a private, not-for-profit university providing undergraduate and graduate degree programs and leadership development opportunities to about 6,200 students–nationally and internationally–at its Fayette campus and learning centers worldwide. Upper Iowa University is a recognized innovator in offering accredited, quality programs through flexible, multiple delivery systems, including online and independent study. For more information, visit www.uiu.edu.
Monica Bayer Heaton
Executive Director of Communications and Marketing