FAYETTE, Iowa (April 17, 2015) - The artworks of approximately 160 emerging artists from nine area high schools were recently showcased in the Bing-Davis Memorial Gallery in the Edgar Fine Arts Center on the Upper Iowa University campus. The juried exhibition was part of the annual Northeast Iowa High School Art Show, which UIU has been a part of for over 30 years. The talented artists represented high schools from Central, Clayton Ridge, Crestwood, North Fayette Valley, New Hampton, Oelwein, South Winn, Starmont and Wapsie Valley. Judging the event was Greg Jones, art education teacher at Van Buren Community Schools. Jones is a 1997 graduate of Upper Iowa with a degree in education with art and psychology endorsements.
"The work this year was of superb quality. The art faculty at UIU was especially impressed with all of the categories that were presented, along with the professional manner in which all of the students conducted themselves," said Elissa Wenthe, UIU associate professor of art. "The communities of northeast Iowa should be very proud of the fine work that these students and teachers have put forward. We look forward to again hosting this day of art appreciation in the future."
Honors and awards distributed during the 2015 event were as follows:
1. Drawing 1: (black and white) Pencil, Pencil Drawing, Graphite, Black and White Drawing
2. Drawing 2: Ink, Pen and Ink, Pencil and ink, Stipple Pencil and Ink
3. Drawing 3: Charcoal, Charcoal/pencil, Conte, Charcoal
4. Colored Drawing 1 : Pencil, Colored with Black and White Drawing
5. Colored Drawing 2: Pastel, Oil Pastel/ Chalk Pastel, Oil Pastel/ Colored Pencil, Soft Pastel and Charcoal
6. Sculpture: Three-Dimensional, Wood, Pop Art, Mixed Media, Clay, Mobile, Ceramic box
7. Mixed Media: Collage, Mixed Media Painting, Acrylic Collage, Acrylic and Newspaper, Tissue-paper Collage, Oil Pastel/ Mixed Media, Mixed Media Drawing
8. Craft: Wood Burning, Fiber Art, Book Art, Weaving, Metal (jewelry), Origami, Mosaic, Copper and Acrylic
9. Painting: Acrylic, Oil Painting, Watercolor, Gouache
HM: Cristal Foltz - South Winn
HM: Ashley Woelber Dighton - Crestwood
12. Photograph: Color, Black and White
13. Ceramic: Ceramic vessel, Ceramic bowl, Pottery, Ceramic pitcher
Photos of students participating in the 2015 Northeast Iowa High School Art Show at Upper Iowa University can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/upperiowauniversity.
About Upper Iowa University Founded in 1857, Upper Iowa University is a private, not-for-profit university providing undergraduate and graduate degree programs to about 5,800 students–nationally and internationally–at its Fayette campus, 25 U.S. education locations, as well as locations in Malaysia and Hong Kong. Upper Iowa University is a recognized innovator in offering accredited, quality programs through flexible, multiple delivery systems, including online and self-paced degree program. With a focus on developing leaders and lifelong learners, UIU provides dual enrollment programs for high school students as well as continuing education and professional development opportunities for learners of any age. For more information, visit uiu.edu.