What’s your favorite gadget? A new gaming system? A new way to access music, movies or television? Computers and information technology are at the heart of every cutting-edge tool being created today and offer exciting opportunities for you with an Information Technology major.
Information Technology is the most rapidly growing computing discipline. IT encompasses all aspects of computing technology, and as an academic discipline, focuses on the needs of users within an organizational and societal context through the selection, creation, application, integration, and administration of computing technologies.
At Upper Iowa University, the degree in Information Technology is designed to prepare you with the skills and knowledge to accept professional, managerial and administrative positions in the field. The IT program features small class sizes, work-study programs and a deep concern for student success.
LOCATION: Main residential campus in Fayette, Iowa
DEPARTMENT WEBSITE: http://uiu.edu/academics/majors/it/
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY MAJOR:
- (3) IT 101 Introduction to Information Technology
- (4) IT 130 Introduction to Programming Fundamentals
- (4) IT 205 Computer Architecture
- (4) IT 210 Operating Systems
- (4) IT 310 Networking
- (4) IT 320 Web Systems
- (3) IT 330 Databases
- (3) IT 340 Human/Computer Interaction and Prof. Ethics
- (4) IT 400 IT Systems Integration
- (3) IT 410 Information Assurance and Security
- (1) IT 480 Information Technology Capstone I
- (1) IT 481 Information Technology Capstone II
- (3) MATH 120 Analytic Geometry/Calculus I* ("C-" or better is required)
- (3) MATH 220 Elementary Statistics
One of the following two (3):
- MATH 305 Discrete Math**
- MATH 306 Rational Problem Solving with Real Systems**
Total: 9 credits
*This course has a prerequisite. Refer to course description.
**Prerequisite: at least a "C-" in Calculus I
No more than 3 credits in non-Information Technology electives.
6 credits are required to complete a specialization.
Cyber Security and Computer Forensics (SEC) Specialization
- IT 420 Security Systems
- IT 360 Computer Forensics/Incident Response
IT Infrastructure Administration (ITIL) Specialization
- IT 336 ITIL Systems Administration I
- IT 337 ITIL Systems Administration II
Network Administration (NET) Specialization
- IT 348 Advanced Networking
- IT 370 Network Management
Web Development and Administration (WS) Specialization
- IT 390 Programming for the WWW
- IT 391 e-Commerce Technology
Game Development Elective
- IT 256 Game Design and Programming
Other IT Electives
Non-Information Technology Electives
- BA 222 Management Information Systems
- MATH 342 Numerical Analysis
- MIS 210 COBOL Programming
- MIS 377 Systems Analysis and Design
- MIS 384 Advanced Computer Programming
- MIS 435 Information Systems Strategies
- PSY/SOC 232 Group Dynamics (also meets Social Science general education)
- PSY 440 Industrial Psychology
- PSY/BA 474 Organizational Behavior
- SOC/BA 390 Complex Organizations
Other computing 200+ transfer credit may be used per advisor approval.
Total Credits: 56