Assistant Professor of Biology
Office: Baker-Hebron 14
"I enjoy teaching and interactions with students in the classroom as well as the field while working on research or student projects. I am an avian ecologist by training but have really enjoyed working with students on a variety of student lead projects."
B.S. in Wildlife Ecology and Biological Aspects of Conservation: University of Wisconsin
Ph.D. in Avian Ecology: University of Missouri
Postdoctoral work: International Institute of Tropical Forestry and Puerto Rico Conservation
- BIO 140 Principles of Biology II
- BIO 335 Ecology
- BIO 365 Conservation Biology
- BIO 385 Ornithology
- BIO 430 Wildlife Management
- BIO 391 Mammalogy
- American Ornithologists' Union
- Cooper Ornithological Society
I am currently advising student research projects on surveys of bats, monitoring bat boxes; surveys for Ring-necked Pheasants using trail cameras and area search surveys; a study comparing trail cameras and track-plate boxes in surveys for mid-sized mammals; and a comparison of small mammal communities in habitat patches and habitat corridors.
Resource selection, habitat use, and the fitness consequences of habitat choices by birds are major interests of mine. I have studied resource selection and survival with juvenile Swainson's Thrush using transmitters during the post-fledging period and also have used transmitters with the endangered Kirtland's Warbler to learn about resource selection on its wintering grounds in The Bahamas.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- J. M. Wunderle, Jr., P. Lebow, J. D. White D. Currie, and D. N. Ewert. (accepted for publication Oct 7, 2013) Sex and age differences in site fidelity, food resource tracking, and body condition of wintering Kirtland's Warblers in The Bahamas. Ornithological Monographs.
- Rockwell, S. M., J. M. Wunderle, Jr., T. S. Sillett, C. I. Bocetti, D. N. Ewert, D. Currie, J. D. White, and P. P. Marra. (submitted Oct, 2013). Winter precipitation drives annual survival of a migratory songbird, with estimation of seasonal survival rates. Journal of Animal Ecology.
- Ewert, D. N., K. R. Hall, J. M. Wunderle, Jr., D. Currie, S. M. Rockwell, S. B. Johnson, and J. D. White. 2012. Duration and rate of spring migration of Kirtland's Warblers. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 124:9-14.
- Wunderle, J. M., Jr., D. Currie, E. H. Helmer, D. N. Ewert, J. D. White, T. S. Ruzycki, B. Parresol, and C. Kwit. 2010. Kirtland's Warbler in anthropogenically disturbed early-successional habitats on Eleuthera, The Bahamas. Condor 112:123-137.
- White, J. D. and J. Faaborg. 2008. Post-fledging movement and spatial habitat-use patterns of juvenile Swainson's Thrushes. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 120:62-73.
- White, J. D., T. Gardali, F. R. Thompson III, and J. Faaborg. 2005. Resource selection by juvenile Swainson's Thrushes during the post-fledging period. Condor 107:388-401.
- White, J. D., and T. Gardali. 2004. Low incidence of cowbird parasitism on Swainson's Thrushes (Catharus ustulatus) in central coastal California. Western Birds 35:156-167.
- Gardali, T., D. C. Barton, J. D. White, and G. R. Geupel. 2003. Juvenile and adult survival of Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) in coastal California: annual estimates using capture-recapture analyses. Auk 120:1188-1194.
- Gardali, T., and J. D. White. 2003. Autumn and winter breeding records of the American Robin. Canadian Field-Naturalist 117:311-312.
- White, J. D. 1994. Time-activity budgets of Trumpeter Swan cygnets while being reintroduced to the wild. Passenger Pigeon 56:151-155.