Assistant Professor of Biology
Office: Baker-Hebron 105
"I teach Biology courses and serve as the pre-professional advisor for students at UIU that are interested in pursuing training in the health sciences (medical school, dental school, etc.). I really enjoy teaching Biology because it is a discipline that most people are inherently interested in, especially in relation to human health. I think the particular strength of Biology at UIU is the commitment of the faculty to not just provide students with content knowledge, but to teach them to think like scientists through research experience."
B.S. in Biology: University of Northern Iowa
Ph.D. in Biology: University of Iowa
- BIO 100 General Biology
- BIO 135 Principles of Biology I
- BIO 283 Genetics
- BIO 340 Evolution
- BIO 396 Molecular Tools I: DNA Techniques
- Iowa Academy of Science
- Society for the Study of Evolution
- National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions
- Molecular and population genetics, molecular evolution.
Examples of Student Projects
- Investigation of relationship between genetic variation in tasting ability and oral bacteria
- Genetics of coat color in horses and dogs
- Genetic variation associated with obesity
- Investigation of factors influencing antibiotic resistance loss in bacteria
- Effect of diapause on male-killing Wolbachia infection in Drosophila borealis
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Sheeley SL, McAllister BF. 2009. Mobile male-killer: similar Wolbachia strains kill males of divergent Drosophila hosts. Heredity. 102(3):286-292.
- Sheeley SL, McAllister BF. 2008. Patterns of natural selection at the Alcohol dehydrogenase gene of Drosophila americana. Fly 2(5):242-243
- McAllister BF, Sheeley SL, Mena PA, Evans AL, Schlötterer C. 2008. Clinal distribution of a chromosomal rearrangement: a precursor to chromosomal speciation? Evolution. 62(8):1852-1865.
- Mercer DR, Sheeley SL, Brown EJ. 2005. Mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) development within microhabitats of an Iowa wetland. Journal of Medical Entomology. 42(4):685-693.
- Simon DM, Hummel CL, Sheeley SL, Bhattacharya D. 2005. Heterogeneity of intron presence or absence in rDNA genes of the lichen species Physcia aipolia and P. stellaris. Current Genetics. 47(6):389-399.