Professor of Science
Office: Baker-Hebron 108
"I am the curator for the Upper Iowa University Herbarium, with plant specimens dating back to the 1860's, I am the principal faculty member involved with our Clinical Laboratory Science articulation with the Mayo Clinic and I have been a principal contact for students who consider transferring from Kirkwood Community College into our Conservation Management and Applied Plant Science majors."
B.S., Pennsylvania State University
M.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison
- BIO 120 General Botany
- BIO 135 Principles of Biology I
- BIO 210 Microbiology
- BIO 323 Plant Nutrition
- BIO 410 Plant Taxonomy
- Surveys of natural plant communities in northeast Iowa
- Maintenance of the Upper Iowa University Herbarium
- Assessment of microbiota associated with the skin or mouth of humans or animals
- Assessment of microbiota found on abiotic surfaces
- Control of microbial growth
- Plant genetic analysis
Examples of Student Projects
- Identification of Sedges (genus Carex) in Northeast Iowa
- Plant Identification in the Upper Iowa University Greenhouse
- Tree Survey of Backbone State Park and Management Strategies to Promote Oak Regeneration
- Identification of Microorganisms that Cause Common Skin Infections among Wrestlers
- Effects of Antibacterial Agents on Bacterial Growth
- Effects of Contact Lens Cleaning Solution on Bacterial Growth
- Isolation and Identification of bacteria in the Mouth of Dogs
- Isolation and identification of bacteria in the Human Mouth
- Factors Affecting Viability of Yeast during the Beer-Making Process
- Golf Course Flood Recovery
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Figdore, D., S.S. Figdore, and J.L. Stoffel. 2013. A Survey of Trees and Tree Health at the West Union Recreation Complex.
- Lee, J.T., and S.S. Figdore. 2013. Volga River State Recreation Area Tree Diversity. Iowa Academy of Science Annual Meeting. April, 2013.
- Steffen, K., and S. S. Figdore. 2013. Echo Valley State Park Tree Diversity. Iowa Academy of Science Annual Meeting. April, 2013.